We've all had those days when we have a really important beach party to go to or a date to go on and need to wear a crop top. We spend the week leading up to the event making sure that we eat clean and exercise regularly. We make every crunch in the gym count. However, more often than not, when the very important day approaches, we still seem to look like we are carrying a baby. Great news, I have done some research and have found foods to avoid during crop top season and other foods that you're safe to eat to ensure a flat, bloat free stomach.

1. Beans

I think it's a universal understanding that beans make you gassy. This is because a sugar in the bean called, alpha-galactoside doesn't get digested and ferments in your stomach.

Alternative: If beans are a food you can't live without, make sure to soak your beans several times to reduce the sugar in the bean. 

2. Soda

You know that sizzling sound you hear when you open a fresh bottle of Coke? Well thats all carbon dioxide, a gas that gets trapped in the digestive system that causes uncomfortable bloating and cramping. 

Alternative: Drink LOTS of water to flush out your digestive system. It's ok to drink flavored water too. Just don't reach for any sparkling water. 

3. Broccoli 

You may finally have a valid excuse to not eat your broccoli. Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and brussel sprouts are known to be very nutrient dense but they contain a carbohydrate that is hard to digest and causes bloating. 

Alternative: While cooking these vegetables make them easier to digest, vegetables like spinach, sweet potatoes, and zucchini have an easier time passing through your digestion system. 

4. Cheese and Milk

Lactose, the sugar found in dairy products is very hard for the stomach to break down. Symptoms include bloating, irritation, cramping, and diahreah. 

Alternative: Dairy free milk and cheese alternatives. I constantly rely on the SO Delicious brand for my creamy dairy fix. 

5. Apples

The sugar, fructose, in apples is hard to break down just like the carbohydrate in beans and broccoli. Fructose, as well as fiber may ferment in the large intestine and cause bloating and gas. 

Alternative: Fruits such as bananas, blueberries, oranges, and strawberries are easier to digest. Sounds like a delicious smoothie combination to me! 

Although it may seem like the majority of your diet may cause more harm than benefit during this time, you are now also prepared with the knowledge of bloat free food alternatives.