Stress from finals made you break out like a preteen again? Think you’ve tried everything to rid yourself of that gross red bump on your forehead? Well put down the benzoyl peroxide and think again, because it turns out that eating the right foods can actually help calm your crazy breakouts.

Dark Chocolate

skin

Photo by Kristin Brennan

Health benefits of chocolate? Yeah, we’re listening. You may think all sweets do is wreak havoc on your skin, but it turns out that dark chocolate actually contains high amounts of flavonols, powerful antioxidants that help protect your skin and heal breakouts. Try eating 3-4 oz of 50% or above cacao dark chocolate. The greater the cacao content, the better you’re skin will be.

Avocados

skin

Photo by Emily Claps

In addition to being the primary component of everyone’s favorite food-guac, obviously-avocados are actually great for your skin. This fruit’s soft, green flesh is packed full of vitamin E, which can help keep your skin looking healthy and luminous, and vitamin C, which aids in reducing inflammation. Turns out the extra $1.95 at Chipotle may be worth it after all…

Tomatoes

skin

Photo by Megan Fleming

Another source of skin-loving vitamin C, tomatoes also contain the powerful antioxidant lycopene, which has been shown even out skin tone and provide some protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays. In addition to acting like an internal sunscreen, tomatoes also prevent cellular damage and the reddening of skin, which can cause premature aging.

Fennel

skin

Photo by Paul Asman and Jill Lenoble

This root vegetable is like an edible skin cleanse. Fennel is filled with vitamins and minerals that help improve digestion while simultaneously flushing toxins from your body and reducing inflammation that causes those especially big and bothersome breakouts.

Garlic

skin

Photo by Jenny Shen

Not just for warding off vampires anymore, garlic is also great for fighting acne. This superfood contains a substance called allicin, which helps to kill off the exact bacteria that contributes to pesky breakouts. One of the few crazies who doesn’t like the taste of garlic? Cut a clove in half and rub on breakouts to reduce redness and swelling.

Berries

skin

Photo by Megan Fleming

These super fruits are full of antioxidants and skin-healing components such as beta-carotene, ingredients that help to fight off the free radicals that cause breakouts while also boosting collagen production to improve skin’s tone and texture.

Blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries are known for having the most skin benefits, so check out this Cherry Berry Pie recipe for both clear summer skin and a delicious summer treat.

Water

skin

Photo by Danielle Gervais

You’ve probably heard this about a million times already, but seriously guys, water is the simplest and easiest way to clear up your skin-it’s a no brainer. Drinking a minimum of eight ounces of water a day not only helps to flush your body of the toxins that cause breakouts, but also helps your brain function properly so you can cope with the stress that’s causing your acne in the first place. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Want to find out more?  Check out these articles.