Let’s be real, we’ve all experienced the infamous midday slump. No matter how much caffeine you had in the morning or how late you slept in, you still find your body begging to curl up in your bed for a post class siesta.

Rather than giving in, try these five energy-packed snacks to snap yourself out of that 3 pm slumber (because ain’t nobody got time for that).

snacks

Gif courtesy of Tumblr.com

1. Nuts

snacks

Photo by Maris Altieri

Whether it be almonds or cashews, nuts are a great way to boost your energy levels because they contain magnesium, which helps break down glucose into energy. Go for the raw and unsalted assortment to avoid post-snackage bloating. Added bonus: almonds also promote weight loss.

2. Oranges

snacks

Photo by Hannah Lin

Not only do oranges help fight the winter plague, but they fight tiredness as well. High levels of vitamin C have been shown to decrease fatigue after two hours, so add them in your lunch (like in this dining hall hack) if you know a long day is ahead.

3. Greek yogurt

snacks

Photo by Maris Altieri

Did you ever take a nap because you were so stressed out? Eating Greek yogurt has been shown to relieve anxiety and stress by reducing brain activity involved with emotion and pain. This protein-packed snack will keep you going all day long.

4. Roasted edamame 

snacks

Photo by Elyse Belarge

A crispy, salty snack that will keep you full until dinner (unlike that bag of potato chips), dry roasted edamame is the perfect on-the-go bite with enough protein to activate brain receptors and keep you focused. This soy protein also has isoflavones, which can help ease PMS symptoms when it’s that time of the month.

5. Dark chocolate

snacks

Photo by Maris Altieri

Rather than getting a calorie-dense Starbucks frap, grab the dark chocolate instead. Bars with 70% cacao or higher have flavanols, which increase blood flow to the brain for two to three hours. That’s just enough fuel to get through your dreaded afternoon lecture.

More snacking ahead: