Do you know what happened on December 16, 1773? Maybe not off the top of your head. Go ahead. Google it. I still doubt you’ll give me the answer I’m looking for. Yes, the Sons of Liberty threw an entire shipment of tea into the Boston Harbor to protest the Tea Act, but that’s not all. Because it was December in Boston, the tea likely hit some pretty cold water. And thus, iced tea was born. Honestly, it’s unlikely that’s historically accurate, but you believed me for a minute, didn’t you? Regardless, mankind has had many years to toy with the recipe for iced tea. You don’t have to be a Son of Liberty to do this, though. You can pay a quick visit to your garden (or local grocery store), grab some herbs and have your own tea party.

Basic Iced Tea

Easy

Prep Time: 0 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Cool Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes

8 cups water
6 teabags
1/3 cup sugar (or 3 tablespoons honey)

iced tea

Photo by Elizabeth Layman

1. Pour water into pot over the stove. Bring to a boil.

iced tea

Photo by Elizabeth Layman

2. Turn off heat and add teabags. Let steep until it’s the strength you like (usually about 5 minutes).

iced tea

Photo by Elizabeth Layman

3. Pour tea into a pitcher, sweeten with agave, honey or sugar, and stir with a large spoon.

Optional: Add enough cold water to fill the pitcher almost to the top. This will dilute the tea somewhat, but increase the serving size.

4. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Add ice to serve.

iced tea

Photo by Elizabeth Layman

Herbal Add-Ins

You may add any of the herbs below while you are steeping your teabags. Afterwards, you can pour the tea through a strainer to remove the herbs before you drink it, or you can leave the herbs in for added taste. The amounts below are recommendations, so feel free to play around with the herbs to make the tea as strong or weak as you’d like.

Mint
Amount: 15 fresh leaves

iced tea

Photo by Elizabeth Layman

Tip: Tearing the leaves into small pieces is an easy way to make your tea stronger (and your fingers smell amazing).

Sage
Amount: 10 fresh leaves

iced tea

Photo by Elizabeth Layman

Rosemary
Amount: 5 fresh sprigs

iced tea

Photo by Elizabeth Layman

Basil
Amount: 10 fresh leaves

iced tea

Photo by Elizabeth Layman

Lavender
Amount: 1 teaspoon of flowers (optional: add a few leaves as well)

iced tea

Photo by Elizabeth Layman

If you’re feeling especially brave, try out your own combinations.

Check out more tea-rrific articles, and complementary recipes. Pinkies up!