With its convenient location, all-you-can-eat options and newly installed Mongolian BBQ station, Downstein is surely a standout among all the other dining hall options that NYU has to offer. While it does offer a plethora of food options from their home stations and grill, sometimes I can’t help but feel stumped on the constantly recycled menu that leaves me eating the same things over and over again. To make sure you don’t find yourself in the same rut, here is a guide to creating five dishes that will prevent you from ever suffering any repetitive culinary disposition, all prepared in the Downstein dining hall.
Roasted red peppers
Meatballs (or any home zone meat)
1. Order a toasted sandwich with all ingredients at the sandwich station.
2. Get a side of chips.
3. Order meatballs (or any meat option) from the home zone.
4. Open the sandwich and pile chips inside.
5. Press bread together to crush chips.
Chicken and Waffle Sandwich
Slaw or salad
1. Order two grilled chickens from the grill
2. Make a waffle at the dessert station.
3. Place grilled chicken pieces on one half of the waffle.
4. Drizzle hot sauce and syrup atop the chicken.
5. Top with salad or slaw and fold the waffle into a sandwich.
Loaded Mashed Potatoes
Shredded cheddar cheese
Home zone chicken
Blue cheese dressing
1. Order mashed potatoes from the home zone
2. Fold shredded cheese into potatoes.
3. Shred home zone chicken with fork and combine into potatoes.
4. Drizzle blue cheep dressing on top of mashed potatoes.
Asian Fusion Veggie Burger
Grilled vegetable medley
Crispy chow mein noodles
1. Order a veggie patty and grilled vegetable medley from the veggie grill.
2. Kindly ask for a toasted bun.
3. Top patty with grilled veggies.
4. Top grilled veggies with crispy chow mein noodles and romaine lettuce from the salad bar.
5. Drizzle French dressing on top burger fixings.
Thai Ramen Noodles
Thai noodle salad
1. Order a grilled chicken from the grill.
2. Place Thai noodles from the salad bar into a deep dish.
3. Top noodles with baby corn and a boiled egg.
4. Cut chicken pieces into cube sized pieces and sliced boiled egg.
5. Ladle any broth from the soup station on top of ramen ingredients.