From grilled cheese to pb&j, everyone loves a good sandwich. Though I don’t eat sandwiches often, I take them seriously, as one should. And let’s be real, if you’re stuck with Cal Poly campus dining, or if you don’t have access to an awesome panini press like I do, you’re probably better off going somewhere else to get your sandwich fix. Not sure where to go to get the best sandwich in SLO? I have you covered.

Kona’s Deli

sandwich in SLO

Photo courtesy of konasdeli.com

My roommate and I decided to order and split a Kona’s Deli Junkyard Dog (turkey, pesto cream cheese, provolone and the works) and my arms were low-key sore after carrying it home. This was partly because I don’t go to the gym and partly because Kona’s Deli sandwiches are huge. Seriously, they weigh what feels like ten pounds.

Customize or order a special, either way, your sandwich will be loaded with all things good. You can choose between a 6” or a 12”, but I’d recommend bringing a friend and splitting the big one. Or, if you think you’re up for it, take part in the Kona’s Deli Challenge 2.0: eat a two-foot sandwich in 17 minutes for a free sandwich, free shirt and a picture on the Wall of Fame. If you try this, please invite me to watch.

High Street Deli

sandwich in SLO

Photo courtesy of Kevin Boynton on trip101.com

Do you actually go to Cal Poly if you haven’t at least heard of High Street? I asked my friend to describe what makes a High Street Deli sandwich so good and she replied, “everything.” Since her first visit, she’s also brought up the Dutch Punch sandwich (smoked turkey, extra bacon, other delicious ingredients) and its jalapeño Havarti cheese about three hundred times.

High Street is always packed (you’ve been warned), especially during their deals: If you go on a specified day of the week (changes every quarter) and flash your Poly ID, or go after 4:20 p.m., you get a five buck sandwich.

Gus’s Grocery

sandwich in SLO

Photo courtesy of facebook.com/gussgrocery

Choose between a half or a regular (or a bomber if you’re really feelin’ it), but again, these sandwiches are huge and I’m usually full after a half. You can pick from a list of specialties, or check off ingredients for a customized sandwich. Regardless, every sandwich is made with pillowy bread and melt-in-your-mouth ingredients. Hang out on the back patio while you eat and soak up some SLO sun.

Also: they have a chicken strip sandwich. If that doesn’t sell you, I don’t know what will.

Urbane Cafe

sandwich in SLO

Photo courtesy of urbanecafe.com

I posted a photo of a sandwich from here on Facebook (because what else would I post?) and I’m pretty sure it was the most popular photo of my album. Delicious and a good aesthetic, what more can you ask for?

All sandwiches are served with a side salad and are under 10 bucks. Plus, if you’re like me, the ciabatta bread will make you shed a tear when you take a bite. The menu has every type you’d want: chicken, turkey, veggie, BLT, etc. My personal fav is the Cranberry Brie, which tastes like Thanksgiving in sandwich form.

Bonus: Batch

sandwich in SLO

Photo courtesy of @smvshhh on Instagram

When you’re done with lunch, head on over to Batch for some dessert in the form of an ice cream sandwich. Choose your cookies, choose your ice cream, choose your toppings, eat up.