Without a doubt, most college students own a smartphone or a tablet device. Some of the most useful apps out there are not really known by most college students until now. These apps are free and will help you save money and live a healthier lifestyle to get you through those tough semesters. What are you waiting for? Download them now!

1. Out of Milk

This app is one of the best for any student that goes grocery shopping. The app allows you to create and save shopping lists which integrate prices and quantity. In addition, it allows you to scan barcodes. Out of Milk also has a deals feature that informs you of any local deals that grocery stores are currently running. As a result, you save money from deals and you remember to buy what you need for the coming week. The worst feeling is realizing you forgot to buy eggs when you’re about to make an omelet for breakfast.

Photo courtesy of Google Play Store

2. MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal is very popular among fitness fanatics, but everyone looking to eat better and live healthier can benefit from using this app. This app enables users to track exercise and food and creates generic or customized plans to meet personal fitness and dietary goals. It also has an extensive database of different foods, even ones from restaurants and an awesome forum to receive and share advice or motivation. The app makes living a healthy lifestyle a social experience as you can add friends to compete with and to keep you motivated to stick to your goals. One of my favorite features is the fact that the app has a barcode scanner feature that when scanned, will pull up all of the nutritional info for that food.

Photo courtesy of Google

3. Yelp

The fact that a good number of college students don’t use Yelp confuses me. It’s one of the quickest ways to find good food that’s cheap around campus. Exactly what the budget-minded student needs to survive midterms and finals season. Not only that, but it’s used all over the world so you can use it when you’re at home or on vacation. Also, this app makes it possible to receive free meals if you have had a bad experience at a restaurant and you post about it. Sure enough, the owners sometimes want a second chance.

Photo courtesy of Google

These apps are all free in both the App Store as well as the Google Play Store so you really have no excuse to have these on your phone or tablet. So now that you have all these apps downloaded, be ready to save money, live healthy and most importantly, eat delicious food.

Looking for more apps? Try these food apps for your iphone.