It’s been a rough year for Chipotle. After norovirus scares and E.Coli outbreaks it seems they can’t catch a break. Right now Chipotle is in a place where they are trying to win back customers and with offers like Free Burrito Day, it’s hard not to bite.

If you’re a hardcore Chipotle lover like me then you’ve probably enjoyed the short lines the past few months, but all good things must come to an end. As more customers are returning back to the burrito Mecca it is time we all make sure we are doing Chipotle the right way. Here are some of the top hacks to make sure you are getting the most out of your Chipotle experience with every visit.

For When You Want More For Your Money

Chipotle

Photo courtesy of apartmentlist.com

At this point we all know guac ain’t free. When you add up double meat, guac, chips, salsa, and a drink your order is easily in the double digits. Now is the time to stop overpaying. Did you know if you follow 6 simple tricks you can get 86% more burrito for you buck? Yeah guys your life is about to change.

Bowl it up

If you’re not getting your burrito in a bowl you are missing out on so much extra meat and rice. Order your burrito in a bowl but ask for a tortilla on the side. Not only is it free but now you can make a regular burrito out of your leftovers.

Double wrap

Double wrapping is an ultra-effective technique. You don’t want all your precious guac spilling out of the sides of a cracked burrito, do you? We didn’t think so. Ask for two tortillas and trust that your burrito will be kept safely reinforced.

Double that rice

When your server asks if you want white or brown rice, ask for both. You’ll get both for no extra charge and it almost doubles your portion. Mo’ rice, mo’ meals.

Order both beans

Don’t just stop with the rice, order both types of beans too. Your burrito is going to look pretty hefty at this point but if you took our double wrap advice to heart then you’ll be just fine.

Half and half the meats

Sadly you will be charged for the more expensive of the meats, but if you ask for half and half you’ll wind up with more meat in the first place.

#SpoonTip: If you’re a vegetarian, skip the meat and you get guac for free. 

Don’t skimp on the veggies

Why do people forget that fajita veggies and corn salsa are free? Maybe it’s because the guac is too distracting but don’t skimp on these treats. Not only are they delicious but they help raise your burrito to max capacity status.

On the side

You know you can order meat and guac on the side, right? There’s also a good chance that you’ll get more if you order it on the side and more is always better at Chipotle.

Gift Cards

If you buy a $30 gift card, you get a burrito for free. So whether you buy the card for a friend or just to treat yourself you’ll end up with a free burrito.

For When You Want Something New

Chipotle

Photo by Alexandra Jubault

Okay so these tricks may not be that secret considering you’re reading about them, but they definitely aren’t advertised on the menu. Try one of these lesser-known delicacies and you may never go back to regular burritos again.

Nachos

First things first, ask for a burrito bowl. Then when the server asks what rice ask for tortilla chips. It’s simple and delicious.

Quesadilla

Somedays burritos are just too much, we get it. Well good news, the quesadilla isn’t just for kids anymore. Ask for one and they will in fact make it for you.

Burritodilla

What the heck is that? It’s essentially a half-filled burrito that’s wrapped in foil and pressed on the grill.

#SpoonTip: Don’t ask for this during rush hour, but order it at any other time and you should be fine. 

Quesoritto

Take everything you know about a normal burrito and throw it out the window. The Quesoritto is a game changer. It’s your regular burrito, but wrapped in a quesadilla. So filling, but oh so good.

Vinaigrette Dressing

This isn’t really a secret item, but too many people don’t realize it’s available. They keep it in the fridge so make sure you order it right before you check out. It’s free and it will elevate your burrito bowl game to an entirely new level.

For When You Want to be Healthy

Chipotle

Photo by Becky Hughes

The post-Chipotle food baby is a real thing, but it doesn’t have to be. It’s hard to not fill up your burrito with all the free toppings but sometimes you just have to learn to say no.

Ditch the tortilla

As a burrito lover myself, writing those three words was painful. But at the end of the day the tiny flour tortilla alone is 300 calories. Ditch those calories and sub the tortilla for a burrito bowl. Your body will thank you.

#SpoonTip: If you do go for a tortilla ask for the gluten free ones.

Tofu isn’t always better

Surprisingly enough the best meats for you at Chipotle are chicken and steak. The sofritas have the highest amount of sugar, carbs, and sodium. It’s awful, but it’s the truth.

Brown vs. White rice

Sorry white rice lovers, brown rice is healthier for you. Realistically you should skip the rice all together, but what’s the fun in that?

Black vs. Pinto beans

Good news black bean lovers, these are way better for you than pinto beans. Fill your bowl up with these black beauties and you won’t regret it.

Say bye-bye to sour cream

This one is heartbreaking for me, but sour cream is so not the move if you’re trying to stick to a diet. Luckily guac is still okay, so you don’t have to cry too much over losing sour cream.

Get the chip off your shoulder

By no means should you be ordering tortilla chips if you are trying to eat healthy. It’s a bummer, but your stomach and your wallet will thank you.

For When You’re Lazy

Chipotle

The only bad thing about Chipotle is the whole getting out of bed and putting pants on part. Sometimes it’s just too much. That’s why delivery services are around.

Favor

If you live in one of the 19 cities Favor operates in then you can get Chipotle delivered right to your doorstep. Forget to ask for salad dressing for your burrito bowl? No problem. Just text your Favor runner and they’ll swing back and pick it up for you.

Postmates

Don’t have Favor in your city? Try Postmates. The delivery fee might make your $8 burrito cost closer to $20, but at least you didn’t have to put on pants.

Tapingo

A lifesaver for college student’s, Tapingo will deliver several campus restaurants right to your door. Make your life easier with a click of a button.

For When You’re Broke

Chipotle

As much as I love Chipotle, my wallet doesn’t. If you are semi-functional in a kitchen then fear not. Check out these recipes so you can make your own burritos at home.

Sofritas Bowl

This super quick and relatively painless recipe is perfect for when you want sofritas, but don’t want human interaction.

Guacamole

Last year Chipotle released their official recipe for guac and it’s honestly not that hard to make. If you have 5 minutes and a few avocados to spare definitely check it out.

Carne Asada Mexican Fried Rice

If you’re ever stuck wondering what to do with your leftover burrito, this is the recipe for you. Plus, it makes a couple servings so you can stretch your money even more.

Copy Cat Chipotle Burrito

This recipe may require a little more proficiency in the kitchen but it’s well worth the effort.

Mason Jar Chipotle Bowl 

Perfect for taking to school or work, this super simple mason jar recipe will be your new lunch favorite.