Forget the days of marmalade, butter and assorted fruit spreads. The new way to dress up toast involves satisfying and nutritious combinations of vegetables, dairy, fruit and protein. Like sweets in the morning? Great: there’s a Nutella-banana toast for that. Prefer savory? Check out this  egg, tomato and goat cheese toast.

The following recipes will have you looking at toast in a whole new way. They may even have you looking forward to your mornings (blasphemy, I know). The basics start with a solid foundation of high-quality bread crisped to golden perfection and then piling any and all assortments of goodies on top. Just in case, here’s a guide to constructing the perfect toast.

I bet you didn’t even know you were always waiting for this moment: Get ready to re-define the meaning of toast.

1. Buttered Mushroom, Sage Pesto and Goat Cheese Sourdough Toasts

toast

Photo Courtesy of Half Baked Harvest

Crispy sourdough is the base to this savory toast that combines the tanginess of goat cheese with an herby spread and meaty mushrooms. Suitable as a meal just for you, these toasts are also sure to impress as a dish for guests. This way to perfection.

2. Smoked Salmon Tartine with Red Onion and Avocado

toast

Photo Courtesy of Rachel Phipps

Tartine is just another (fancier) name for an open-faced sandwich. This one is loaded with smoked salmon and avocado, a new classic combo you’ll quickly come to love if you don’t already. Fancy yourself eating this tartine?

3. Honey Ricotta Toast

toast

Photo by Daniel Schuleman

Coming to you straight from the Spoon U archives, this honey and ricotta cheese toast will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth while providing you with essential nutrients and protein. Check out the recipe here.

4. Zucchini Toasts

toast

Photo Courtesy of Sprouted Kitchen

This veggie toast is more of a mid-time meal or snack (unless you find yourself with a zucchini craving in the morning — no judgement). Roasted zucchini, creamy ricotta and a hint of dijon mustard are tied together with a hearty whole grain bread. Snack time!

5. Avocado Toast, 5 Ways

toast

Photo Courtesy of Kitchen Konfidence

Most people know of avocado toast: it’s become the ubiquitous symbol of all #basicbetches. Well, now you can go beyond the basics with 5 different updated preparations.

6. Egg, Arugula and Herb Tartine

toast

Photo Courtesy of the kitchn

Eggs, greens and toast. What more could you ask for? This toast covers all the bases, both in nutrition and flavor. Follow this link for a wholesome breakfast you’ll be happy to eat.

7. Tart Cherry Chutney Toast

toast

Photo Courtesy of Jelly Toast

It’s a toast recipe that touches every part of your tastebuds: tangy, sweet, sour and savory. It also lets you make your own jam (well, chutney), which let’s be real is actually a great life skill to brag about. Harken back to the good ol’ days of homemade jelly with this recipe.

8. Corn, Jalapeño and Goat Cheese Tartine

toast

Photo Courtesy of Katie at the Kitchen Door

Spice it up with this toast, which introduces a kick of jalapeño to a refreshing combination of ingredients. Oh, and wait, is that bacon I spy? This could be the next great hangover cure.

9. Roasted Balsamic Tomato and Mushroom Tartine

toast

Photo Courtesy of the Cafe Sucre Farine

This simple toast is brought to a new level by roasting and glazing tomatoes, which brings out their sweetness, and complementing it with a cut of acidity from balsamic vinegar. Adding mushrooms, mozzarella and pesto brings the whole thing together in an Italian-inspired package. Check out the recipe here.

10. Banana and Nutella Dessert Toast

toast

Photo Courtesy of Just a Taste

Dessert, breakfast, same thing. Don’t feel guilty about having this toast any time of day because it’s simply too delicious to deny. And it’s got fruit so it’s healthy. . .right? Your dessert-for-breakfast is only a click away.

11. Beet, Avocado and Mixed Bean Sprout Challah Toasts

toast

Photo Courtesy of the Food Gays

A truly guilt-free toast, get your green on with this delightful combination of beets, avocado, bean sprout, herbs and cheese. Challah acts as an unconventional platform, bringing a touch of sweetness to the veggie-heavy party. Recipe here for essentially the best salad on toast you’ll ever have.

12. Tartines with Goat Cheese, Red Pepper and Swiss Chard

toast

Photo Courtesy of Ezra Pound Cake

This colorful toast is an excellent savory option that includes the classic red pepper and goat cheese combination, but jazzes things up with sautéed Swiss chard. Easy to make, even easier to eat. Recipe here.

13. Ricotta, Fig and Honey Tartines

toast

Photo Courtesy of the kitchn

We already mentioned the basic ricotta-honey combo, but here the introduction of fresh figs brings the toast to a whole new level. One of the easiest toasts to assemble, find the original inspiration for the idea here.

14. Vegan Caprese Toast

toast

Photo Courtesy of Pickles & Honey

Vegan? Yes. Avocado? You betcha. All the important boxes have been checked off for this recipe, which swaps out the conventional mozzarella cheese for extra-firm tofu. Don’t be afraid to try this vegan take on a classic.

15. Egg, Tomato and Goat Cheese Tartine

toast

Photo Courtesy of 337 Greenwich

This toast literally screams “Good morning, today is a great day.” What more could you ask for than crunchy bread, cheesy goodness, juicy tomatoes and a perfectly fried egg. Simple and delicious.

16. Applewood Bacon, Fig and Fontina Tartines

toast

Photo Courtesy of the Cafe Sucre Farine

No need to say anything about something with bacon and melty cheese. But hey, just to be safe, let’s add some sweet fig preserves to really put it over the edge. We’ve crossed into dangerous territory.

17. Butternut Squash and Whipped Feta Tartine with Pistachio Dukkah

toast

Photo Courtesy of My Front Burner

Feel a little fancy with this Middle-Eastern inspired toast. Dukkah, which is a nut and spice blend, adds delicious crunch and a zing of flavor to this comforting dish. Get inspired.

18. Sundried Tomato, Artichoke and Hummus Tartine

toast

Photo Courtesy of Well Plated by Erin

Another way to enjoy the wonders of hummus is always welcome. This toast adds another savory layer with the artichokes and salty sundried tomatoes. Hit that hummus craving hard.

19. Mushroom and Greens Toast with Poached Egg

toast

Photo Courtesy of Running with Tweezers

This wholesome combination of vegetables, toast and egg is a tasty way to satisfy your hunger while getting crafty. Learning to poach an egg is a stepping stone to all things delicious so try and try again with this toast until you get it right, being sure to devour all of the mess-ups on the way. Recipe here.

20. Roasted Tomato Tartine

toast

Photo Courtesy of the kitchn

Balsamic-roasted tomatoes get a boost from creamy ricotta, Dijon mustard and grainy bread in this toast that is suitable for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Make tomatoes the star with this recipe.

21. Butternut Squash and White Bean Tartines

toast

Photo Courtesy of Pickles & Honey

This toast is basically a really delicious spread made from puréeing roasted squash and white beans. Top it off with some avocado and turn it into a satisfying snack that’s a cinch to assemble. Nosh away.

22. Cheese Bread with Fig and Onion Jam

toast

Photo Courtesy of Pickled Plum

Goeey, melty cheese, caramelized onions, fig jam and toasted walnuts. If those ingredients don’t put you into a food coma merely by being listed, actually try them together in this toast I believe was sent from the heavens. Recipe here.    

23. Mushrooms on Toast

toast

Photo Courtesy of Wishful Chef

This amazingly simple toast comes together in 15 minutes with a simple but flavorful sautée of mushrooms, herbs and butter. Featuring the mushrooms as the main ingredient showcases their earthy meatiness. Time to get to know and love the mushroom.

We’re here to help with more quick and easy meal ideas:

• 5 Easy Snacks for Your Dorm Room
 Quick Breakfasts to Maximize Sleep and Still Have Time to Eat
3 Quick and Incredibly Tasty Egg Recipes