Whether you’re at your friend’s house for the first time or have been going to their family dinners for years, you’ve definitely experienced some uncomfortable moments that made you cringe.
Read on for some of the most awkward and embarrassing things we’ve all been through.
1. When you’re not sure where to sit and you’re afraid you’ll take their dad’s seat.
So definitely not the head of the table, right?
2. When the entire family recites a prayer and you’re not sure if you should bow your head and mumble something.
…maybe I’ll just throw in an amen at the end.
3. When you’re offered alcohol but you’re not sure if you should accept or decline.
Oooh, expensive wine. I better not.
4. When you have to keep reminding yourself to use proper manners.
Keep your elbows off of the table. Keep your elbows off of the table. Keep your elbows off of the table.
5. When you try to be dainty while eating but end up sending a cherry tomato across the room.
It wasn’t me.
6. When you accidentally drop an f-bomb mid-sentence.
7. When their parents ask you a zillion questions and your food is getting cold.
Dang, I just wanna eat my food.
8. When your friend’s mom asks if you like the food and you have to lie.
9. When you have no clue what’s going on during a seemingly hilarious family joke.
HAHAHA, wait what?
10. When you drop your fork and you awkwardly have to fish for it.
Pardon me, let me just dig down here and grab my fork.
11. When you tell a story about your friend that they lied to their parents about.
Oops, I just got the evil eye. My bad.
12. When you have to pee mid-meal but won’t excuse yourself from the table.
Not like I know where the bathroom is anyway.
13. When your friend leaves the table and you’re stuck with the fam for what feels like an eternity.
14. That horrible moment when you accidentally knock over your drink and it spills everywhere.
Fail. *Face palm*
15. When you feel like you have to burp or, ya know, cut the cheese.
So how do I make this silent?
16. When you unintentionally offend the parents about their political stance.
I better think of how to change the subject real quick.
17. When the family dog keeps sniffing you from under the table.
Ew, a wet nose. This dog needs to get out of my business.
18. When you don’t understand what their Mom asked because of her thick accent but you’ve already asked, “What?” twice.
Nod and smile, folks. Nod and smile.
19. When you have to stuff yourself to finish everything on your plate.
Maybe I’ll just spread the food around my plate to make it look like I ate it all.
20. When their mom offers you seconds and you think the right thing to do is decline.
Seconds or nah?
21. That moment after dinner when you realized you had something stuck between your front teeth.
Great. Thanks for telling me earlier, friends.