We’re constantly told about the importance of eating breakfast as it’s known to boost metabolism, decrease our risk of certain diseases, and provide us with our energy needs for the day. However, those benefits may not be coming through if you’re consuming foods that hold little to no nutritional value.

The most recent evidence is emphasizing that it’s what we eat for breakfast that actually matters. Foods that contain protein have been scientifically proven to affect the gastrointestinal hormones that target the brain to adjust our appetite and satiety. In an experiment conducted at the University of Missouri, participants were shown to have increased satiety throughout the entire day and were less likely to snack on fatty foods.

It’s also been acknowledged to be good for the brain. So besides consuming protein just for your post-workout gains, use it to ace your next midterm. To kick-start your day, check out these high protein breakfasts:

1. Cottage Cheese Protein Pancakes

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Andy Crosby

If you’re a fitness junkie, these were made for you. Indulge in these protein pancakes now.

2. Avocado Egg Toast

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Amanda Shulman

A classic breakfast combo that never fails to satisfy and energize. Get the recipe here.

3. Healthy Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Maia Vernacchia

Knowing that I’m going to have cookies for breakfast would immediately get me out of bed. Better yet, they don’t even take that long to bake. these now.

4. Blackberry Chia Greek Yogurt Parfait

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Yonatan Soler

Feel fancy AF while making this parfait. Blackberries not your jam? Swap out any other similar fruit like raspberries or blueberries.

5. Ricotta Avocado Toast

high protein breakfasts

Photo courtesy of acozykitchen.com

The only thing better then avocado and egg is avocado and cheese together. Learn how to pair them here.

6. Banana Blender Muffins

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Katherine Baker

All it takes is 5 ingredients and 1 blender. Easy to make and easy to clean. Make these .

7. Breakfast Greens

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Amanda Shulman

Leafy greens are also a source of protein. Feel healthy and energized with this here.

8. Overnight Oats

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Meredith Ross

Use this recipe to help you sneak in an extra 20 minutes of sleep.

#SpoonTip: Make them in your leftover nut butter jar for less cleanup and more flavour. 

9. Peanut Butter Chia Bars

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Maria Sison

Totally better than any other granola bar you can buy in the supermarket. Get them here.

10. Egg Quiches

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Caitlyn Heter

Have a breakfast supply ready to go for those busy semester periods and conquer your midterms like a champ. Learn how to here.

11. Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

The protein comes in the toppings: nut butter, chia seeds, or protein powders, the choice is up to you. Make this sweet, colourful bowl here.

12. Mango Coconut Chia Pudding

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Yonatan Soler

For such a small ingredient, the chia brings a lot to the table. Learn how to make this superfood here.

13. Greek Yogurt Bark

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Maria Serghiou

Don’t be afraid to be bold with your breakfast. Make this recipe now.

14. Veggie Stuffed Omelette

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Kim Pham

Everything you need made in one pan. Find the instructions here.

15. Almond Oat Breakfast Bites

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Keni Lin

These small but mighty energy balls are great for breakfast, long afternoon classes, or intense study periods. Get the recipe here.

17. Pumpkin Protein Pancakes

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Malia Hu

Do you need more reasons to have pancakes for breakfast? Get the recipe here.

18. Shakshuka Eggocado

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Rob Arrasate

Shakshuka is a great vegetarian breakfast that works for any occasion and is totally student-friendly (budget-wise and time-wise). Enjoying it in an avocado will step up your breakfast game like no other. Get the recipe here.

18. Almond Matcha Smoothie

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Elizabeth Furiga

Matcha is a type of green tea that has a numerous amount of benefits including vitamins, antioxidants, and even more grams of caffeine than one shot of espresso. Get your protein and caffeine fix here.

19. Quinoa Oatmeal

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Jill Langin

Tired of your oatmeal breakfast routine? Quinoa is versatile, full of nutrients, and has the protein that you need. Whip this up here.

20. Apple Peanut Butter Honey Toast

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Alvin Zhou

Your morning routine will never suffer with the endless variations you can have on toast for breakfast. Get the recipe for this protein-packed toast here.

21. Veggie Black Bean Burritos

high protein breakfasts

Photo by Santina Renzi

A burrito is acceptable at any time of day. Add some scrambled eggs to the mix but I assure you this will have you full and energized till your next meal.