Let’s face it, you are without a doubt going to get hungry during the day between meals, whether it’s between classes, after a gym sesh, before work, or honestly 20 minutes after you last ate. Therefore, it’s important to always keep plenty of snacks on hand to get you through the day.

Snacks that are high in protein are your best choice, because they provide energy and help you feel fuller longer, meaning you can eat less but still feel satisfied. They also aid in building muscle. Here is a list of 18 portable high protein snacks that can keep you going no matter where your day takes you.

1. Greek yogurt

protein

Photo by Justin Schuble

Single serving greek yogurt containers are a life saver. They’re super convenient and make for a great protein filled snack when you’re away from your beloved kitchen. Avoid kinds that say they’re “fruit flavored” as these are full of preservatives and usually contain almost twice the amount of sugar as plain. Instead, check out this article for the best greek yogurt brands to buy at the grocery store.

#SpoonTip: If you forget a spoon, simply fold the lid in half to use as a scoop for your yogurt.

2. Protein bars

protein

Photo courtesy of Rob Stinnett on Flickr.com

Protein bars may seem obvious, but there are certain kinds that you should choose and others that you should avoid. The good kind will be packed with energy-enhancing ingredients and vitamins. Avoid varieties that are ridiculously high in sugar, as then you might as well be eating a candy bar. For a list of the best protein bars you should be choosing for a snack, check out this article.

3. Peanut butter with apples

protein

Photo by Mulin Xiong

Luckily for peanut butter lovers like me, a variety of different peanut butter brands sell portable containers of peanut butter that are easy to take on the go and eat with different fruits or veggies, like apples or celery. One of Jif’s To Go cups of natural peanut butter contains 9g of protein, making it a perfect and versatile energy-inducing snack.

4. Protein smoothie

protein

Photo by Rachel Dyckman

Smoothies are a great way to incorporate protein in several different ways. You could make a smoothie with protein powder, peanut butter, milk, hemp seeds, or a variety of other protein sources. Whip one up before you leave your house, and store it in a portable cup to bring with you wherever you need to be.

5. Trail mix

protein

Photo courtesy of albanesecandy.com

By making your own trail mix you can add an assortment of nuts, dried fruits, seeds, and/or yogurt covered raisins, which are all relatively high in protein. Together they make a super satisfying snack to munch on throughout the day.

6. Jerky

protein

Photo by Tess Wei

While jerky isn’t a top choice among most of the college students I know, it’s actually a pretty healthy snack. The average pack of jerky contains 10g of protein, with almost no artificial flavors or sweeteners. It’s also low in sodium and calories. There are plenty of different jerky options to choose from at your local grocery store, including beef, chicken, fish, and even a meatless version.

7. Edamame

protein

Photo by Elyse Belarge

These green Japanese soybean comes prepackaged in it’s own pod, making it very convenient to take with you on the go. One cup contains a whooping 15g of protein and is all natural. Buy the steam-able or frozen bags, and heat up in your microwave before you leave.

8. Hummus and carrots

protein

Photo by Kendra Valkema

Like peanut butter, you can buy hummus in convenient single-serving containers that make for an easy snack on a busy day. Hummus usually contains about 6g of protein per serving, along with a high content of iron to boost energy.

#SpoonTip: If you want to make your own hummus, pack it in the bottom of a mason jar or other container, then stick in the carrot sticks. 

9. Cheese

protein

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

Whether you like your cheese stringed, cubed, or circular, 1-oz. can provide up to 8g of protein and a plethora of other vitamins and minerals that are great for your health. Pack a small tupperware container of sliced cheese, crackers, and grapes for a portable take on a classy cheese plate.

10. Granola

protein

Photo by Lauren Kaplan

Many of your favorite granola brands make a protein version that provides a more satisfying snack than the regular kind. Nature Valley sells a bunch of different kinds of protein granola that deliver 10g of protein per serving. Take a bag with you in your backpack and snack on throughout the day.

11. Kale chips

protein

Photo by Alex Tom

Yes, this popular superfood actually delivers a good amount of protein, with one serving containing an average of 6 grams. A lot of brands of kale chips you buy at your grocery store are also gluten-free and vegan, making them the perfect high-protein snack for anyone who isn’t over the kale trend yet.

#SpoonTip: Make your own hearty version of kale chips with this recipe

12. Roasted chickpeas

protein

Photo by Kirby Barth

Meet the protein-packed beans that your hummus is made out of. Roasted chickpeas are sold in a variety of different flavors at many grocery stores, and can come in single-serve packs as well. Snack on some when you start to get hungry between meals for average of 9g of protein per serving.

13. Hardboiled eggs

protein

Photo by Justin Shannin

Although with the smell that comes from hardboiled eggs I probably wouldn’t recommend eating these in class, they’re still a great high-protein snack to eat while walking between classes or work. One egg contains 6g of protein and will definitely satisfy your hunger until your next meal.

#SpoonTip: Peel the shells off the eggs before leaving your house in order to make eating them on the go more convenient.

14. Protein balls

protein

Photo by Keni Lin

There are tons of different recipes out there for protein balls. You can make them sweet and/or pack them up with energizing ingredients to keep you going throughout the day. Protein balls are super versatile, so use this recipe as inspiration and add or subtract whatever ingredients you’d like.

15. Tuna with crackers

protein

Photo by Haliana Burhans

Again, this snack has a very strong smell, so maybe enjoy them in between classes in one of your school’s dining areas or outside on a table. But even though tuna can be smelly, it’s still a super great snack that provides tons of protein and carbohydrates when paired with crackers. It’s perfect for pre- or post-workout energy and rejuvenation. Make your own tuna and pack with a serving of your favorite crackers, or buy a pre-made kit like this one.

16. Cottage cheese

protein

Photo by Megan Yee

Like greek yogurt, cottage cheese comes in portable, single-serving containers that are easy to carry around with you and eat on the go. Cottage cheese is a great snack because it’s low in fat and sugar, yet can pack up to 20g of protein in a 5-oz. container. If you’re not a big fan of cottage cheese, sweeten it up with some fruit and/or honey.

17. Chocolate milk

protein

Photo by Hannah Lin

You can’t go wrong with a portable snack that provides chocolate and protein. This one is probably the easiest on the list, as it provides no prep whatsoever. Just grab a bottle of your favorite brand of chocolate milk for 8g of satisfying protein to enjoy in between and during classes.

18. Protein chips

protein

Photo courtesy of simplyprotein.com

Um yeah, protein chips are apparently a thing. SimplyProtein Chips are made with pea protein, providing 15g of protein and only 140 calories per bag. You can get them in a variety of flavors, including coconut raspberry, banana cashew, and BBQ tomato. They’re also vegan, gluten-free, and non-GMO. Get them on Amazon for only about $24 for a pack of 12. If you ask me, these are a way better bargain than any bag of greasy potato chips you usually find yourself snacking on.