Let me set the scene for you. It’s a Tuesday, you wake up and unlock your phone (because who uses an alarm clock that isn’t their phone?) and it’s 8:48. You have class at 9. You still have to brush your teeth, get changed, get your backpack and whatever books you’ll need for the day. The best part is you have class after your 9 am, and then another class after that, and then practice. You won’t be back until 6:30 pm and by that time you’re hungry, tired, cranky and hungry.

I have great news for you. This doesn’t have to be your life. All you need is a crock pot, and all your problems will go away (#SpoonTip: This is probably not really the case). Now you have 16 meals to choose from, depending on how long you’ll be out of the apartment, to throw into your crock pot that will be ready for you when you’re ready for it. It’s a match made in heaven.

4 Hours

1. Meatballs

slow cooker meals

Photo by Tiffany Zau

This is a shorter one so maybe save it for when you’ll be out a few hours before dinner but still don’t want to come home and make dinner. However, this is perfect because you make your meatballs all day and all you have to do when you come home is make pasta and throw them on top.

2. Healthy Orange Chicken

slow cooker meals

Photo by Michael Habisohn

Skip the Chinese food delivery option (even though it’s calling your name) and DIY instead. The best part about this one is you can mix all the ingredients in a bowl the night before and just pour them over your chicken in the morning before you leave.

3. Sesame Chicken

slow cooker meals

Photo courtesy of familyfreshmeals.com

Skip the Chinese food delivery option (even though it’s calling your name) and DIY instead.

4. Ravioli Lasagna

slow cooker meals

Photo courtesy of familyfreshmeals.com

Using ravioli in your lasagna is the definition of innovative.

6 Hours

5. 2-Ingredient Salsa Chicken

slow cooker meals

Photo by Cassandra Bauer

Not only do you probably have salsa in your fridge, because college, but you could most likely prepare this in the morning even when you’re so tired that you can’t find your backpack because it’s already on your back.

6. Chicken Marsala

slow cooker meals

Photo by Tiffany Azure

I love chicken marsala and I love this recipe. I’d imagine you’ll feel very culinary when you return home after class and this is patiently waiting for you.

7. Honey Garlic Chicken

slow cooker meals

Photo by George Farah

This one only takes 5 hours so you can throw it on high for 5 if you’ll be home on time or low for 8 if you’re swamped all day but don’t want to eat overcooked chicken when you get back. You can throw it on top of rice or eat it plain because it’s that good.

8. Stuffed Bell Peppers

slow cooker meals

Photo courtesy of familyfreshmeals.com

My best friend, Abby, says these are amazing and everyone should try them and she would eat them multiple times a week if that were acceptable.

9. Chicken Cacciatore

slow cooker meals

Photo courtesy of familyfreshmeals.com

This one can take anywhere from 4 to 7 hours depending on your needs so I placed in safely in the 6 hour zone. Flexibility at it’s finest.

8 Hours

10. Whole Roast Chicken

slow cooker meals

Photo by Hannah Lin

The day has come when you can return home from classes and have an entire roast chicken already prepared for you. It’s like your crock pot is your mom now.

11. Beans and Sausage

slow cooker meals

Photo by Ethan Jones

Cut it all up, throw it in. Wait 7 hours, eat. Simplicity is key.

12. Turkey Tacos

slow cooker meals

Photo by Shayna Starr

All you need to do when you come home is spoon your meat into your taco. If you are just too tired to do that, you could probably just eat this plain because it’s that good.

13. Beef Stew

slow cooker meals

Photo by Tiare Brown

Sometimes when it’s 3 degrees outside and you’ve been walking from class to class all day in a giant coat that still doesn’t seem to be warm enough and you come home to a beautiful and warm stew? It’s enough to make you shed a tear.

14. Chicken Chili

slow cooker meals

Photo by Analiese Trimber

You just can’t mess up chili. That’s also just not true you totally can. If you follow this recipe you’ll probably turn out okay though. This one takes 8 hours so if you do some meal prep the night before, throw it all in the pot at 8AM (or 9AM or 10AM) when you wake up and turn it on, it should be ready by the time you come home.

15. Beef Chili

slow cooker meals

Photo by Anna Polovick

I can’t stress the importance of chili enough. Not only will it satisfy your every need after a stressful day, but it somehow manages to taste better and better every day.

16. Chicken Noodle Soup

slow cooker meals

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

The perfect meals for those days when you already ate 3-4 meals during the day but you still want dinner so soup seems like a good choice, right?

Now you know that at least for the next 19 days, you can have a meal waiting for you on your countertop.