Summer is in the air and that means one thing for college kids out there: summer jobs. This means working for eight hours a day with a short 30-minute break stuffed somewhere in between. By the time the break comes, you’re scrambling to decide what to eat and eventually end up eating nothing because by the time you decide, your break is already over. Next time, instead of going back to work on an empty stomach, pack one of these easy 15 snacks to save the day.

1. Protein Bars

snacks

Photo by Sabrina Kistler

There are so many protein bars these days, yes, more than just Quest Bars. Protein bars are an easy, on-hand snack that normally does not require refrigeration.

2. Apples and Peanut Butter

snacks

Photo by Sina D’Amico

What’s an apple without peanut butter and what’s a break without enjoying this delicious pairing? If you think you’ll be craving this during your break, cut an apple in the morning (just in case you don’t have access to a knife during break) and put some peanut butter in a container. Easy and delcious!

3. Nuts

snacks

Photo by Katherine Carroll

Peanuts and almonds and cashews, oh my. Let’s not forget about the pecans, pistachios and walnuts, too. Any of these choices are easy enough to carry with you and are great to munch on whenever. No matter how tired you may be, nuts give you enough energy to get through the day.

4. Dry Cereal

snacks

Photo by Bari Blanga

I know what you all may be thinking, cereal is meant to be eaten with milk. On a short break, though, I betcha you’ll enjoy this cereal pick-me-up even without the milk. Choose your favorite kind, whether it be Lucky Charms or Raisin Bran, throw it in a Ziploc bag and be on your way to work.

5. Yogurt

snacks

Photo by Morgan Nagy

Yogurt, you say? Yes, this stuff requires no effort since it’s pre-packaged and plus, it won’t take you long to eat either. Just make sure you have a fridge to keep the yogurt in until you eat it. If you want something more than just yogurt, try bringing some granola with you.

6. Pretzels

snacks

Photo by Rozina Fonyo

Everyone likes pretzels, why else would they be an airplane snack? If you’re not into eating them by themselves, try bringing some peanut butter or Nutella for dipping.

7. Hummus and Carrots

snacks

Photo by Kendra Valkema

I like to call this combo the snack of the year. Hummus has become the go-to snack because it is easy to prepare at home (considering all you have to do is purchase it at the store), it can be paired with almost anything and it is healthy. Do make sure you have somewhere cool to store your hummus and carrots until break time.

8. Peanut Butter and Jelly

snacks

Photo by Sina D’Amico

What a classic. There is nothing better than enjoying a PB&J and pretending you’re a kid again. And why wouldn’t you want to relive your childhood, even if only for a short time? Bring this for your break and you’ll be sure to forget what awaits you the rest of the day.

9. Banana

snacks

Photo by Spoon University

You only have 5 minutes to eat before you boss starts screaming at you to get back to your register. “What could I possibly eat in 5 minutes?” you think. That’s simple – a banana. It’s easy to transport from home and it won’t take long to consume. So when your boss calls your name 4.5 minutes later asking where you are, you’ll already be throwing away your banana peel and heading back to the register.

10. Popcorn

snacks

Photo by Sabrina Kistler

No, I’m not talking about movie theater popcorn (unless that’s what you’re into), I’m talking about Smartfood or Skinny Pop that you can buy at the supermarket. If you’re overwhelmed by all the options, try the Smartfood white cheddar popcorn. You won’t be disappointed, I promise.

11. Rice Cakes

snacks

Photo by Sina D’Amico

If you’re looking for something a little healthier, then look no further. Try topping a rice cake off with almond butter and banana to add a bit more flavor to your snack. To save even more time, you can add the toppings to your rice cake at home if you’re really pressed for time during your break.

12. Trail Mix

snacks

Photo by Morgan Nagy

You’re thinking, “Didn’t you already suggest bringing nuts,?” Why yes, I did. But trail mix is not just nuts. Trail mix incorporates nuts, chocolate and dried fruit to give you the perfect combination of what you never knew you were looking for.

13. Crackers

snacks

Photo by Sina D’Amico

There are so many flavors of crackers and I’m sure you can find one that will make you feel like you’re eating a 5-star meal (okay, maybe not that extreme, but you get the point). Crackers are easy to pack and, most importantly, eat on-the-go.

14. Muffins

snacks

Photo by Armin Nayak

There are so many muffin flavors that you could truly have a different flavor for every day of the week. If you have time, try finding your own muffin recipes online (especially on Spoon) to make each week. If cooking isn’t really your thing, go to the grocery store and pick up some muffins. Before you leave in the morning, wrap up the muffin and stick it in your bag for later. Trust me, you won’t regret it.

15. Dried Fruit

snacks

Photo by Sina D’Amico

If you don’t want to worry about keeping your fruit cold until break, try snacking on dried fruit instead. The taste might be something to get used to, but you’ll quickly adjust. Even better yet, you won’t have to worry about rushing to finish the entirety of the fruit because it’s dried and you can easily seal the remainder back up to save for later!

Even with the short amount of time given to us to refuel our bodies for the rest of the work day, these foods will help keep us going no matter what job we have to tackle. So go and enjoy your summer job with these delicious snacks and keep in mind that your bank account is growing with each and every hour you spend wishing you were at the pool.