Recently we received the news we all have been subconsciously hoping for since 2007 but never expected: Gilmore Girls is coming back. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Netflix is making its best move since it added Friends to instant streaming. Along with the original cast and storyline, Netflix will be releasing four 90-minute “movies” as a continuation of (and finally appropriate ending to) the series.

Gilmore Girls has been, and always will be, my favorite show. But recently, in my first year of college, I’ve felt an even closer connection to the show and the ultimate mother-daughter duo, and I think I finally figured out why: Lorelai and Rory’s eating habits are identical to those of freshman college girls.

1. The coffee obsession

GIF courtesy of hellogiggles.com

We all swore we wouldn’t become those girls, but low and behold, we did. The drink that used to disgust us as a child has now become a crucial part of our daily routine. What’s even more amazing, we don’t even need our drinks to be fancy anymore. We don’t always have time to wait for a latte. Most of the time we just settle for the basics.

Want to be a coffee expert like the girls? Spoon University has you covered.

2. Pop-Tarts

gilmore girls

Photo courtesy of twitter.com

Just as Lorelai once said, do we really like Pop-Tarts, or is it just the fact that we know our parents hate them? College means freedom, which means no more nagging from our mothers to make sure we eat something healthy once in a while. We’re, like, totally adults in college, and we can dictate what we eat. But is it the sugar that we love, or is it that being bad just tastes oh-so-sweet?

3. Wallowing

GIF courtesy of bustle.com

College means new boys, which means new heartbreak. We’ve all been there: we see a boy flirting with another girl at a party, even though the two of you TOTALLY made eye contact in the library the other day. So what’s a girl to do? Wallow. Nothing mends a heartache like your own personal, large pizza and a pint of your favorite ice cream. Food will never break your heart.

4. Takeout

gilmore girls

Picture courtesy of dietsinreview.com

Every college girl has three numbers on speed-dial: her mom, her best friend, and her favorite Chinese restaurant (one that delivers, obviously). Dining hall food gets old pretty quickly, but your favorite restaurant never will. We all need that one place we can always call up when our random cravings inevitably come up.

5. Hangover foods

GIF courtesy of huffingtonpost.com

Rory’s are mac and cheese and tacos, but every girl is different, and trial and error may be necessary when trying to find out what one can keep down after a night out. I’ll admit it: freshman girls don’t always know their limits—sometimes, we get a little too excited. When we wake up the next morning with that oh-so-lovely headache, we all need our own personal hangover food to help us keep the faith.

6. Knowing the food trends of others

gilmore girls

Picture courtesy of pinterest.com

Boys will never understand our stomachs, but your female roommate always will. When living in such close quarters with our girlfriends, we learn how to read one another. We know which girl craves grilled cheese when she’s on her period and which girl always wants apple juice when she’s sick. But even if we have different preferences, every girl has the same golden rule: food fixes everything.

7. Should I eat dessert?

gilmore girls

Picture courtesy of finedininglovers.com

Yes, to answer the question above. Lorelai and Rory never shied away from the sweets, and look at how amazing they are. Dining halls may not always have the dinners that we want, but they always come through with the desserts. Come on girls, we have suffered through too many years of middle school and high school when “dessert” meant fruit and the occasional Jell-O. Have that slice of cake. Put some ice cream on top of it. You deserve it.

8. Exercise and diets

gilmore girls

Picture courtesy of pinterest.com

Or the lack thereof. When you get confused by girls talking about their new diets, you’re not lazy; you’re a Gilmore girl. As my friend so eloquently put it, “Gilmore Girls made me embrace my inner fatty.”

Now, I’m not saying being healthy isn’t important. But food tastes so good, and I bet you went on at least one walk today (whether it was around campus or just to the bathroom in between Netflix episodes is none of my business). So go ahead, eat that burger. You know you want to.

9. The “food” in our refrigerators

gilmore girls

Picture courtesy of tumblr.com

Our mothers would not be proud. We left kitchens full of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains and moved to a dorm room that is now full of cold pizza and cookie dough. Granted, we always eat out in college, but I’m sure that when my mom agreed to get me a fridge, she didn’t imagine having it be filled with the most unhealthy snacks I could find.

10. Cooking (?)

gilmore girls

Picture courtesy of pinterest.com

Once in a while, we get a little overly confident, and say to ourselves that we are going to try to cook something. But like with Lorelai when she tried to make (instant) mashed potatoes and she realized that she actually had to mix ingredients together, the appeal goes way down. We all have momentum at first, but it doesn’t last very long, and we just end up ordering pizza like always.

11. Thanksgiving

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com

Now, I’m a total Christmas girl, but Thanksgiving is a very close second. And I have never appreciated it more than I did this year. Thanksgiving is a very important holiday for college students because it is the first, big home-cooked meal we have had in about three months. We promise never to take advantage of it ever again, and we eat extra right before we go back to ensure our stomachs are stretched enough to enjoy the maximum amount of food.

12. Food is the best way to bond

gilmore girls

Photo courtesy of foreveryoungadult.com

The way to a girl’s heart is through her stomach, and not just in a romantic way. The scariest part of freshman year is the thought of making new friends. But even though girls can be tricky sometimes, we do have a few constant trends: food, food, and food. Want your hall to bond? Have a pizza night. Want to become closer with your roommate? Buy really great snacks and share with her. Works like a charm every time.

13. Food > Parties

gilmore girls

Photo courtesy of pinterest.com

Be honest, there have been some nights when you get dragged out by your friends when all you wanted to do that night was cuddle up with some takeout and a Judy Garland movie. Parties can be a bust, but food will never let you down. It’s perfectly acceptable to choose food over booze sometimes.

I always found it so refreshing to see a show with two beautiful, successful girls who loved to eat and hated to exercise. Food is amazing, and we deserve to enjoy it. So go ahead, eat like a Gilmore girl—it seemed to work out pretty well for them.

And remember, when in doubt, W.W.T.B.F.C.D.?