In the name of National Pet Month, here’s one for all you dog owners who want to treat your beloved pooches to more than just plain ole’ Purina.

A common misconception is that giving human foods to your doggo is a big no-no. But my corgo (yes, he’s half corgi!) has been nibbling on these foods for 11 years, and he’s still standing strong on all 4 little paws. What’s the secret? Picking the right food items and limiting them to only 10% of his total diet. There are plenty of delicious, safe, and, did I mention, healthy options your dogs can eat and most of these items are probably already found around your kitchen. Check out which of these human foods your dog has been missing out on. 

1. Pasta Noodles

tagliatelle, penne, spaghetti, carbohydrate, wheat, macaroni, pasta
Morgan Goldberg

Pasta is a staple meal of pretty much every college student, why not cook extra for your little pup? It can enjoy a small bowl of noodles with you at the dinner table. Just make sure your dog’s portion is sauceless as pasta sauce may be acidic and upset your dog’s stomach. All the ingredients in noodles - flour, eggs, and water - are all safe to consume but if you really wanna make it healthy, serve the whole wheat version, which is high in fiber and helps with digestion.

2. Plain Yogurt

milk, egg, dairy product, cream
Katherine Baker

Yogurt is dairy good for your dog. Rich in calcium, protein and full of probiotics, plain yogurt is great to help balance out your pet’s digestive system, especially in unhealthy situations when your dog spends a day digging through your trash. Read the labels to avoid giving sugar-filled yogurt or those with artificial sweeteners.

#SpoonTip: To fight the summer heat, scoop some yogurt and fruit (berries, melon, bananas, apples) into popsicle molds and pop them in the freezer to make a nice cold treat for you and your pup.

3. Eggs

pancake, cheese, omelette, omelet
Vishesh Monga

Eggs are yummy in every shape and form. Sunny side up might brighten up your day, but fry your dog's eggs fully and serve them up for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or as a nice protein-filled snack. Eggs are great for the muscles and strengthening your dog’s luscious fur coat.

4. Oatmeal

rolled oats, grain, handful of oats, handful, hands, barley, oatmeal, oat, pasture, corn, wheat, cereal

Overnight oats are the not the only way you can use your oatmeal. Oatmeal is another tasty breakfast option for you and your dog to eat together as it’s full of fiber that helps bowel movement. In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup rolled oats. Stick in in the microwave for 2.5 to 3 minutes. And voila, you’ve made a nice breakfast for both you and your dog. You may want to flavor your own but keep the cinnamon and sugar away from your dog’s.

5. Popcorn

rice, popcorn, corn, wheat, cereal
Sara Carte

No, not that Act II microwavable popcorn. Fido can only eat plain popcorn without butter and salt. The solution? Popping plain kernels at home with coconut oil, which is safe and delicious for dogs and humans to share over a nice movie. Yes, it takes extra effort to whip it up (follow this recipe), but when it comes to your baby, you would take the extra effort to make your doggo happy. Also, by DIY-ing popcorn, you save everyone from consuming all the harsh chemicals and artificial ingredients inside the store bought ones.

6. Peanut Butter

dairy product, caramel, milk, coffee, pudding, sweet, cream, chocolate
Caitlin Shoemaker

This nutty treat has a habit of driving dogs nuts. Peanut butter is packed with Vitamin B, E, and protein which makes this yet another healthy treat. An artificial sweetener called xylitol is bad for your pups and is found in some brands. But Jif is known to be xylitol-free and should be the best option! Let your dog lick the jar clean, or if you don’t want your dog to get too pudgy, get a small spoonful for him and a larger spoonful for yourself.

7. Potatoes

potato, vegetable, tuber, carbohydrate, pasture, spuds
Katherine Baker

If you’re a potato lover, your dog can be one too if you feed them plain baked potatoes (sorry, fries and potato chips don't make the cut). Potatoes have lots of potassium to balance out blood pressure and Vitamin B and C. To prepare them for you and your dog, clean and de-eye those babies and then bake them in the oven for 90 minutes at 300 degrees. After they have cooled, peel and serve it either whole or mashed, without butter or seasonings, of course.  

8. Cooked Salmon

salmon, beer
Lorcan Cannon

When you finally want to cook up a fancier meal for a night in, you too can make a salmon plate for your pupper. Salmon is high in protein and contain omega 3 fatty acids that can help reduce joint inflammation and boost their immune system, and are a great option for those dogs with allergies. Fillets (boneless) of salmon cooked well-done in small amounts of olive oil will make a perfect dinner meal for the both of you.

The No-Nos

You love a lotta food, but not all human foods are as good for Fido as they are for us. If you’re ever eating these items, be ready to fend off against your dog’s best weapon - his puppy eyes - and tell him no.  

9. Avocados

guacamole, sweet, vegetable, avocado
Jessica Kelly

Sadly, avocado lovers can only be for humans. Found in all parts of the avocado, is a substance called persin, known to lead dogs to have diarrhea, vomiting, with the worse being heart failure.

10. Ice cream

cream, chocolate, ice, milk, dairy product, sweet, coffee, caramel, wafer
Rachel Kalichman

Who doesn't love ice cream more than college students to get us through finals, breakups, and dark times? Luckily, dogs don't have to go through our pains, but unluckily they cannot consume ice cream safely. Full of sugar and lactose, ice cream can make your doggo gassy and damage their teeth. Serve your dog a homemade frozen yogurt pop instead!

11. Grapes

grape, pasture, berry, wine
Lila Seeley

You might find it tempting to share this healthy snack with your furry friend, but this fruit is surprisingly one of the most toxic human foods for your dog. Though no research can pinpoint the toxic agent in grapes, the fruit itself can lead to sudden kidney failure, weakness, and indigestion. Raisins are even worse as they are much more concentrated.

12. Chocolate

milk, milk chocolate, sweet, candy, coffee, chocolate
Christin Urso

I know many friends who eat chocolate on the daily, but there should not be a single day when your dog gets the chance to eat this sweet treat. The amount of theobromine, which dogs cannot metabolize easily, and caffeine inside is extremely toxic often leading to hyperactivity (and no, it's not because of the sugar), vomiting, and sometimes death.

13. Alcohol

beer, wine, alcohol, ale, liquor
Melanee Piskai

Even though this might be your typical beverage choice, this should never be shared with your most beloved dog. It would be a nice gesture, but just don't do it. A little alcohol is enough to get your pet to develop breathing problems and lose total coordination. 

If your dog ever consumes one of these no-nos, contact your local vet immediately or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.

*Note: The items listed above are the views of the writer who has done extensive research on this topic by referencing the American Kennel Club, Vetstreet, American Society of for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), and more.