With Rhode Island’s rich food culture, it is no surprise that this culture carries over into the summer. There’s nothing better than sitting on the beach with no responsibilities. What happens when this mindset combines with all of the incredible food that Rhode Island has to offer?

Here’s a list of the twelve best Rhode Island summer eats:

1. Del’s Lemonade

Rhode Island

Photo courtesy of @LadyDucayne on flickr.com

Del’s Lemonade is the most quintessential summer treat in Rhode Island. Like a Slushie, Del’s is frozen lemonade that comes in original lemon as well as watermelon and blueberry. If you’re from out of state, don’t let a Rhode Islander see you drink it from a straw. You have to shake the cup to break up the ice and rough it like the rest of us.

2. Clam Cakes and Chowder

Rhode Island

Photo courtesy of @GregLloyd on flickr.com

Clam cakes and chowder are like peanut butter and jelly; the perfect combination. Chowder in Rhode Island comes in three different varieties: clear, milk and tomato. True Rhode Islanders always choose the clear or the tomato. Clam cakes, the perfect sidekick, are made from a mixture of a soft dough and clams, then deep fried.

3. Allie’s Donuts

Rhode Island

Photo courtesy of @MadisonConley on flickr.com

I could write novels about my love of Allie’s Donuts. Located on an exit from the most major highway in Rhode Island, a dozen of Allie’s Donuts is the best thing to grab on your way to the beach. Allie’s also makes donut cakes which you can order for any celebration. Lucky for me, I have a summer birthday and have continuously had an Allie’s donut cake as my birthday cake.

4. Brickley’s Ice Cream

Rhode Island

Photo courtesy of @jennasic on flickr.com

Brickley’s Ice Cream is also known as the place that consistently has a line out the door. I’ve waited a half an hour for this ice cream, its just that good. All of the ice cream served is homemade and isn’t complete without a homemade waffle cone. Brickley’s is the perfect place to stop after a long day at the beach, especially when there’s cookie dough ice cream involved.

5. Doughboys

Rhode Island

Photo courtesy of @iggys_doughboys on Instagram

Doughboy’s are round pieces of fried dough served with either powdered or granulated sugar. Doughboy’s are often sold at summer festivals like the Gaspee Day arts and crafts festival that honors one of the first acts of the Revolutionary War right in Rhode Island. If no festivals are in the schedule, Doughboys are often sold at any restaurant that specializes in clam cakes and chowder.

6. Caserta Pizza

Rhode Island

Photo courtesy of @JasonPerlow on flickr.com

Arguably the best pizza in the state, Caserta is a summer party staple. Huge, filling and served in the classic Rhode Island pizza rectangle, at 63 years old Caserta pizza knows what they’re doing. As the restaurant’s motto says, “If you’re not eating Caserta’s, you’re not eating pizza.”

7. Iced Coffee

Rhode Island

Photo courtesy of @DiegoRodriguez on flickr.com

Rhode Islanders have iced coffee no matter the weather, but now that it’s summer it’s even more acceptable. That is only if the cold cup is insulated with a hot cup and also from Dunkin Donut’s, nowhere else.

8. Pizza strips

Rhode Island

Photo courtesy of @MixxieSixtySeven on flickr.com

Pizza strips have been at every family party I’ve ever been to. This cold pizza without cheese is the perfect appetizer. It’s also the perfect lunch, dinner and even breakfast, if you’re adventurous enough.

9. Fried Zucchini Flowers

Rhode Island

Photo courtesy of @PoseidonCooks on flickr.com

Based around the flower of the zucchini plant, zucchini flowers are covered in batter and then fried. They can either be plain or have cheese mixed in with the batter. If possible, get homemade zucchini flowers, because the restaurant ones just don’t compare.

10. Awful Awfuls

Rhode Island

Photo courtesy of @humblepiepvd on Instagram

Despite the misleading name, Awful Awfuls are incredible milkshakes. The name comes from the idea that they are “Awful big, Awful good.” Awful Awfuls are synonymous with summer because of Awful Awful Monday, which starts in July. Awful Awful Mondays make Monday bearable because you buy one and get one free.

11. Yacht Club Soda

Rhode Island

Photo courtesy of @LibertyImages on flickr.com

Yacht Club Soda is made and manufactured in Rhode Island. It is also the official soda and water company of Rhode Island. With 25 different flavors like strawberry, sarsaparilla and cream, Yacht Club Soda has a flavor for everyone.

12. Steamers (Clams)

Rhode Island

Photo courtesy of @CaroleJulius on flickr.com

Steamers are a long-necked clams which are served boiled and in a bowl. On the side, there is the clear broth in which the clams were boiled and melted butter for dipping. All you have to do is take the clam out of the shell, clean it in the water, dip it in the butter, and you’re good to go.

This list of food got me through finals and all the other stressors that come with the end of the school year. I knew that Brickley’s would be waiting for me when I got home, and it’s waiting for you too. So, go ahead and book that trip to Rhode Island immediately, you won’t regret it.