In college gyms, ellipticals seem to always fill up the fastest. This is because it basically does the work for you; you get on, turn on Netflix and tell the machine to move your arms and legs for the 43:04 minutes it takes to watch a Grey’s episode.

You may decide to increase the resistance or the incline because the person next to you did, but probably not because Jackson Avery is about to be on and you need to stay focused.

Well, if you want to watch Netflix and actually get a real workout in, here’s how:

1. Intervals

Elliptical

Stop doing the exact same thing for the entire time. Increase the resistance and work hard for two minutes then decrease it and go easy for one minute. Otherwise you will never see results.

2. Decrease the incline 

Elliptical

Photo by Jackson Barliant

Increasing the incline is making it EASIER on your legsNot harder, like climbing stairs.

3. Fix your posture

Elliptical

This isn’t just a workout for your legs; it can work your core if you stand up straighter.

4. Enter your information if you’re a calorie counter

Elliptical

Most machines assume that the user is 150 pounds. If you weight more or less than 150, the calorie count is wrong (unless you tell it how much you weigh).

5. Go backwards

Elliptical

You know the people you judge for going the wrong way? They’re doing it right. This works your hamstrings and your GLUTES. Going forward focuses on your quads.

6. Be a heel runner

Elliptical

We are often taught to always be on our toes, but this is why the elliptical seems less effective. Are your feet tingling or going numb? This means that you are putting too much pressure on your toes, while you should be sitting back on your heels for a longer, more effective workout.

7. Use the handles

Elliptical

Have you ever tried to run with both hands holding your phone? If you have, you’ve probably tripped. Running is supposed to be a full body workout; you’re forgetting about half of it.

But, don’t rely on them to hold you up. You should be maintaining a loose grip, and for an even better core and balance workout; let go.

8. Look at your Strides Per Minute

Elliptical

(or revolutions per minute)

It’s easy to just focus on your calories, but your SPM is important to maintain. If it gets too high, you are going too fast and your muscles are no longer engaging because your momentum and the machine are taking over.

Your maximum effort should be between 75 and 100 SPM. Your cool down should be between 25 and 50 SPM and your average should be between 50 and 75 SPM.

9. Enjoy Netflix

Elliptical

Because if you can actually get an effective workout in while watching; props.

10. Wipe it down

Elliptical

Clean your machine, because… that’s just gross.

11. Don’t get on the treadmill

Elliptical

Because if Taylor can’t, we can’t.