I’ve been called out for being pale as heck my entire life. I’ve learned to embrace how truly translucent I am. Here are a few of the truths about being pale that anyone else with this skin tone can def feel me on.

1. You rarely, if ever, wear white

pale

Because you’re basically the same color, white is really hard to pull off. It might be hard to determine where your skin starts and the clothing begins (just comes with the territory). Just the possibility of looking more washed out would make any sane person avoid it at all costs.  

2. SPF 70+ is your friend (at all times of the year)

pale

Yes, it’s true, your palest friend has probably gotten sunburn from one day at the beach. But they have definitely also even gotten burnt in the middle of winter. In that case try these food combos out to help soothe your burn. I can’t spend a day out in the sun without having my cheeks and nose getting a little “sun kissed.” 

3. You have to buy the lightest shade of concealer/foundation

pale

Photo by Victoria Carter

My concealer is called “porcelain” and my foundation is called “ivory.” They’re named this for a reason. Porcelain and ivory are two of the whitest whites found in day-to-day life. Yet, with my foundation and concealer, it still doesn’t exactly match my coloring. That’s why I just tend not to wear any face makeup. Hey, just like these foods, I heard it’s better for your skin anyways.

4. You get that “red face” after working out

pale

“Red-face” hits me hard and fast. No matter what type of workout I do. I wish I didn’t turn into a tomato every time I went to the gym, but there’s nothing you can do to stop it. It could be worse, at least it shows you were working your butt off. Try these exercises out if you want that “red-face” to show loud and proud. 

5. When you get a tan, you become a normal skin tone (so no one notices)

pale

I’ve come back from Caribbean vacations before, and literally have had not one of my friends comment on how tan I got. It’s a sad fact that when you are just that pale, a tan for you makes you look a normal skin tone. After spending 10 days on the beach, I want my hard work of not getting burnt to be recognized, but alas it never is. Here are some foods that can help you protect yourself during the “tanning” process. 

6. People always ask if you are “okay”

pale

Gif courtesy of theodysseyonline.com

No I am not dying, I really am just this pale. It’s very annoying for people to call you out, especially when you aren’t even sick. But what’s an even bigger issue is that when you are legitimately sick. You look no different, so no one thinks you are (I swear I’m not a hypochondriac). For those times when you are actually not “okay,” try these tricks.

7. You’re always able to spot yourself in group pictures

pale

Photo by Victoria Carter

(Second arm in on the right…yeah, thats me).

Yes, being pale has its downsides. But at least in group pictures, you’re easy to spot. Being pale gives you a kind of “glow.” Maybe it’s more of a “translucence” than “glow,” but it still makes you easy to spy in a crowd. When everyone else has the same usual coloring, your paleness draws all eyes on you, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But if you just want to fit into the crowd, here are some foods that might help actually get tan.

8. You’re never able to get a spray tan

pale

We all want the allusive golden skin from a tan, and many people can get it within 10 minutes. However, when you’re just this pale and you try to get a spray tan you either A. look absurd because you turn orange not tan or B. again just look a normal skin tone. Either way it’s a lose lose. Let’s be honest who looks good with a spray tan anyways? So don’t beat yourself up?

9. You bruise like there’s no tomorrow

pale

Photo By Caitlin Wolper

On any given day, you can find at least one bruise on my body (if not many more). Even if it’s a little bruise, it just looks that much worse against your pale skin. It’s inevitable that someone will call you out for it. Bruising easily and pale skin can be signs of being anemic, which is basically a decrease in red blood cells in the body. So all you pale folks best be careful that your skin tone isn’t a sign of something serious.

10. You love winter

pale

In the winter, we finally become equals (in skin tone). It’s a small victory but, for a few months, no one can call you out, that much, for how pale you are. You may still be a little whiter than your other friends but it’s too small of a difference to really tell. Being called “white as snow” is applicable to all during this season. So no need to take offense.

11. You’re always given the nickname “Casper”

pale

From elementary school, when we first saw the movie, through my first year of college, I have been given the nickname Casper. Getting compared the Casper the Friendly Ghost, isn’t necessarily horrible. Yes, it connotes you are as “pale as a ghost”, but it also connotes that you are personable. I’ve learned to embrace the nickname, and anyone that’s pale should too. There’s just no way of avoiding it.

Just because you may not tan and may also burn super easily doesn’t mean you aren’t special. So keep your head up, and embrace your pale because at least you won’t be getting wrinkles by the time you’re forty.