This is what it feels like when when you’re adopted from China and everyone thinks you’re Chinese, but you’re straight up American. #Twinkie

1. When you go to to the Asian supermarket and you have no clue what the weird fruits, packaged snacks and dried meats are.

Chinese

Cause you can’t read the Chinese characters but you feel like you should.

2. When you can’t get over how all the food packaging is so cute, neat and colorful.

Chinese

You know you love seeing all the Japanese snacks with Hello Kitty and Totoro on them.

3. When your mom made you dress up in an Oriental silk dress for your adoption day dinner…

A photo posted by AmiLin (@imami95) on

…and you hated it. ?

4. When you  notice how many Asians are around you at the Chinese buffet and you look like you fit in, but you don’t feel like you do.

Chinese

Photo courtesy of readingpenrose.com

Kinda like the ugly duckling, but not.

5. When you’re at a Chinese restaurant and you have a question about the menu, but you get nowhere cause you’re struggling to communicate with the waiter.

Chinese

Do. You. Have. Soup. Dumplings???

6. When you don’t understand what’s on the Dim Sum menu so you just go by the pictures.

Chinese

And you pray you’ve ordering something good.

7. When you chuckle at the misspelled, incorrectly worded menu that’s written in broken English.

Chinese

Fried duck giblets in dry pot? Steamed red crap with ginger? Someone must’ve used a bad translator.

8. When you’re not a master at using chopsticks, but people assume you’re a pro.

Chinese

So you know you won’t be eating much for dinner.

9. When you were embarrassed that your parents brought in dumplings, White Rabbit candies and red envelopes to your 3rd grade class in celebration of the Chinese New Year.

Chinese

…but then everyone loved you.

10. When you go to Chinatown and are hit with the smell of fish and unfamiliar produce.

Chinese

And you wonder if you’ll ever get used to it.

11. When you can’t decided if you like pasta, rice or bread better.

Chinese

…but you know rice should have a special place in your heart.