You would think that being broke in college is just a stereotype. Whether you’ve just graduated or are starting college, you will know for a fact that it’s not just a stereotype.

1. Ramen

college

Photo courtesy of wanna-joke.com

Alright, everybody’s probably chowed down to this stereotype. We can all understand we’ve all had ramen as our dinner. It’s cheap and easy to make. Plus there are now plenty of ways to hack the basic ramen. What more can college students ask for?

2. Tortilla with butter

college

Photo courtesy of facebook.com

This one also falls under the category of it being cheap and easy. You’ve probably had multiple variations of a tortilla mix. Hopefully you weren’t poor enough to make the perfect quesadilla.

3. An entire bag of junk food (or any other variation)

college

Photo by Jennifer Cao

It’s okay. We’ve all been there. It’s not too late to go down to the dining hall to grab something for dinner, but you’re lazy. But those unopened bag of chips are really calling to you. It’s your lucky day if you happen to find some dip in your fridge (especially if it’s homemade guac). And why limit it to just chips? There are cookies, ice cream, the possibilities are endless.

4. Cereal (milk entirely optional)

college

Photo by Courtney Hatfield

Similar to the junk food, cereal is just another one of those foods that are just readily available. You can totally eat it dry by the handful. Or if you’re lucky once again, you might find some milk that hasn’t expired yet in your fridge.

5. Pasta (sauce totally optional)

college

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

This is more legitimate. Once again, it all boils down to the convenience of the dinner. Pasta can easily be filling, and it’s tasty enough without any special sauces. But you can totally upgrade your pasta dish if you have cream cheese.

6. Takeout

college

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

Pizza, Chinese, what more can you ask for? It’s just so easy. You probably have had a stash of takeout menus in your dorm for you and your roomie to splurge on. It’s alright. We all love a good takeout meal.

7. Coffee

college

Photo courtesy of @yik-yaks on tumblr.com

The struggle becomes real when you’re starving, you have a final tomorrow, and your bank account only has seven bucks. Go to your local coffee shop or Starbucks and grab yourself a cup of coffee. It’s enough to fill your stomach, give you caffeine for the next couple of hours, and it’ll keep you in budget.

8. Alcohol

college

Photo courtesy of quickmeme.com

Nobody would condone alcohol on an empty stomach for numerous reasons, but there was always the struggle of being late and having all the good stuff gone or just sucking it up.

9. Whatever your roommate is having

college

Photo courtesy of @sandrasjournal on Instagram

Sometimes when free food is offered, you just have to take it. You may not be the biggest fan of it, but it’s better than having an empty stomach. You may get lucky and have a roommate who offers you some of their food. Bless those kind people.

10. Whatever your roommate has

college

Photo courtesy of parade.com

This one is a little bit naughtier. You shouldn’t be stealing, period. But I’m sure a good amount of us has sneakily grabbed a spoonful of ice cream or a handful of chips from our roommate’s food.

11. Sleep

I think this speaks for itself…