Chinese food is basically the holy grail for college students. Besides being delicious, it's usually pretty cheap, often open on holidays and most places deliver (aka you don't even have to leave your couch to indulge). But just because you're on a first-name basis with your local delivery guy, it doesn't mean you couldn't use a crash course in proper Chinese dining etiquette. That's why I tapped a friend of mine whose family owns a Chinese restaurant for a lesson on the right way to dine and honor Chinese traditions. 

If you want to fully appreciate your soup dumplings and the culture they stem from, you should keep these tips in mind.

1. DO order multiple dishes to split between the table

As is customary with many Asian cultures, Chinese food is best-enjoyed family-style. Try ordering a variety of food with your friends and have a little taste of everything. Who needs that whole take-out container full of leftover mixed vegetables anyways?

2. DO keep your feet on the floor

Though this may seem like a no-brainer, showing the bottom of your feet is extremely disrespectful. In Buddhism, your head is the most holy part of your body and your feet are considered the lowest and dirtiest. It is super insulting to position the soles of your feet toward someone.

3. DON'T use chopsticks for anything other than eating

Do not — I repeat — do not use your chopsticks for pointing or drumming. This is rude in any culture, really. Chopsticks are for moving your food from the plate or bowl to your mouth. 

4. DON'T stick chopsticks upright in your dish

chicken, meat, risotto, fried rice, vegetable, rice
Abigail Wilkins

In other chopstickrelated etiquette, sticking your chopsticks straight down in your food represents death. So unless you want to wish ill will on your server, I'd steer clear. 

5. DON'T separate your chopsticks 

milk, cream, tea, coffee
Kimberly Kao

Everything good comes in twos, and chopsticks are no exception. If one falls to the floor, simply get another set. Always use two when picking up food (no stabbing). 

6. DON'T serve yourself first

Serving tea is a sign of respect. Traditionally, one should always start by serving the eldest first. If you are the one serving, you should serve yourself last. 

7. DO serve tea correctly

milk, coffee, tea
Addison Zinner

The correct way to serve tea is holding the lid while you pour. This just ensures the lid doesn't come flying off and make a mess. Makes sense, right? 

8. DON'T forget to say thank you

Tapping your index and middle fingers on the table to show your appreciation is the norm in Southern Chinese cultures. However, nodding and saying thank you is appropriate in any situation.  

9. Holding Your Glass Higher Than Your Elders

beer, toast, alcohol, champagne, wine
Jaime Wilson

As with much of the etiquette in Chinese culture, emphasis should be placed on respecting your elders. So when someone proposes a toast, hold your glass slightly lower than your elders. Bonus points for saying "gānbēi," the Mandarin word for cheers!

10. DON'T eat every last morsel of food 

If you eat every last bite of food, your hosts will assume you're still hungry and they did not provide you with enough. However, it is also rude to specifically leave rice in your own bowl. 

11. DON'T leave a tip in China, DO leave a tip in the U.S.

This is where things get tricky. In China, tips are not customary, but in America, you definitely want to tip when paying. 

This all comes down to basic respect. Would you drum the table with your fork and knife anywhere else? Hopefully not. The most important thing to remember is to try. It definitely shows when you go out of your way to be respectful of one another's culture.