Turmeric has recently become a trendy superfood in the US, but is anything but new when it comes to worldwide cooking and health. The spice can be traced back thousands of years in Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. It has been used to treat a variety of health problems from tummy aches to cancer, and has even been shown to boost immunity.

Not only does this bright yellow root have a long list of health benefits, it also makes a delicious addition to all kinds of snacks and meals. Whether its in a curry or a cough drop, this spice adds a magical spicy flavor you are sure to fall in love with. Jump on this turmeric bandwagon and use these recipes to make turmeric the your newest obsession.

1. Turmeric Tea

Photo by Osha Key | Unsplash

oshakey on unsplash

This (dairy-free!) milk-based tea includes a brilliant combination of turmeric, pepper, cinnamon, and ginger. It's the perfect winter drink to help you warm up at the end of the day and avoid the cold thats going around.

2. Turmeric Roasted Chickpeas

chickpeas, tigernut, hazelnut, legume, cereal, pasture, nut, vegetable
Kristine Mahan

These popular crispy snacks are made even more exciting with the addition of turmeric and paprika. They are delicious atop a salad, mixed into a soup, or even eaten by the handful.

3. Golden Milk Macarons 

Turmeric is not exclusively a savory spice. It adds a hint of spice to many dessert favorites like ice cream, pumpkin bread, and cookies. Give these vegan coconut macaroons a go and experience the sweet side of turmeric.

4. Turmeric Breakfast Muffins 

Photo by Rob Bye | Unsplash

robertbye on unsplash

Start your day of right with these spiced blueberry muffins. Not only do these muffins come with all the benefits of turmeric, they are made with rolled oats and buckwheat flour, and are sweetened only with fruit. They make a delicious and healthier alternative to the blueberry muffin you crave in the morning.

5. Turmeric Smoothie

apple, sweet, juice, smoothie
Mimi Dunn

Build on your morning dose of superfoods by adding some turmeric to your favorite smoothie. Especially delicious with pineapple, mango, and spinach, this spice will transform your breakfast experience.   

6. Vegan Carrot Soup

pumpkin, cream, soup
Alexandra Kazimir

This soup is filling, hearty, and just spicy enough to satisfy you on a cold winter evening. Throw some of those roasted chickpeas on top for some crunch and even more turmeric power.

7. Turmeric Tahini Dressing

meat, vegetable, salad
Kristine Mahan

Spice up your salad by adding a dash of turmeric to this tahini dressing recipe. It makes a great vegan alternative to your favorite creamy dressing, and adds vibrant flavor and color to any lunch bowl.

8. Turmeric Hummus

vegetable
Kendra Valkema

Make this healthy snack even more exciting with a dash of turmeric. Serve it with veggies and pita, dollop it onto a soup, or smear it on a sandwich. You truly can't go wrong with this spicy, addictive dip.

9. Spiced Cashews

peanut, meat, sweet, nut, cereal
Hannah Beaver

All the flavors of curry packed into everyone's favorite nut. This recipe can make a super satisfying snack, or add spice and crunch to even the most boring salad

10. Curry

corn, vegetable, legume
Sini Choi

Curry is probably the most well-known way to get your daily dose of turmeric, and for good reason. Make a big batch of this spicy Chana Masala recipe so you can enjoy your new favorite spice all week.

Once you start adding turmeric to all your favorite foods, you will not look back. Start with these recipes, and quickly fall in love with this health-boosting spice. Whether its hiding in your breakfast, sprinkled over your lunch, or adding unexpected spice to dessert, turmeric is sure to make any meal better.