Though it may have been ugly, cramped, and severely outdated, the Ole Miss Student Union was a place that brought people together, whether over Chick-Fil-A's Chick-n-Minis, Subway's cookies, or the live entertainment of Tuesday and Thursday's Union Unplugged. There are some things every student is gonna face concerning the closing and reconstruction of the Union this spring, so pardon while we all attempt to cope.

1. Get Ready for a Crowded Pavilion

Elizabeth Blackstock

The Union was everyone's go-to for a quick meal, and with it being closed, the next best fast food option is none other than The Pavilion at Ole Miss. Be prepared for lines at Steak 'n Shake and Raising Cane's to possibly snake around the building, as hundreds of people attempt to catch some midday grub.

2. The Chick-Fil-A Truck Has its Downsides

coffee, beer, water
Elizabeth Blackstock

Sure, Ole Miss has a cool new Chick-Fil-A truck parked on Business Row. Does that make up for the fact that the truck doesn't serve fries or Chick-n-Minis? Or that it it's open as late as it was when it was in the Union? No. It doesn't.

3. Union Unplugged Isn't Really a Thing Anymore

No Union = no Union Plaza. Every Tuesday and Thursday at noon the Student Activities Association hosted entertainment on the Plaza with live acts by a talented student, performances by the university's gospel choir, and strolling NPHC Greeks. With the Plaza's current demolition, Union Unplugged is a no-go. Bummer.

4. We're Down to Two Starbucks Now... HELP!

beer, coffee, pizza
Elizabeth Blackstock

Having three Starbucks locations on campus was probably taken for granted. Now with the Barnes and Noble cafe being obsolete and the only locations being The J.D. Williams Library and Coulter Hall, expect an even longer wait for your morning coffee. Which brings me to the next point...

5. The Ole Miss Bookstore is No Longer With Us

Well, technically speaking. The Ole Miss Bookstore and its conjoined Barnes and Noble cafe have now moved off campus. So, when you're in a pinch to get a textbook for a class or just feel like perusing through some school paraphernalia, you'll have to hightail it over to the bookstore's temporary location on Jackson Avenue. What a joy.

6. There's Literally a Sliver of Sidewalk To Use In the Most Traveled Section of Campus

wine, beer, pizza, coffee
Elizabeth Blackstock

The typical commute to class usually involves journeying across a central area of campus, like the Union. Well, now that cracked, uprooted slabs of concrete, and hideous green tarp cover most of the area used for such a trek, looks like there's gonna be a lot of "Excuse me," and "Oops, I'm sorry," every hour.

7. Giving Campus Tours is Awkward AF

beer, coffee, wine, tea
Elizabeth Blackstock

Ole Miss Ambassadors are definitely in for a weird situation when explaining to a bright-eyed and bushy-tailed senior in high school on a campus tour that "Oh, this monstrosity of construction work you see behind me will be halfway finished when you arrive here in the fall." 

8. A Lot of Important Offices Are Spread Out Around Campus Now

coffee, pizza, tea, beer
Elizabeth Blackstock

The Ole Miss Student Union was home to pretty important campus organizations, like the Student Activities Associated and the student government of the University, The Associated Student Body. Both of these offices are now residing in different on campus locations, no longer as central as they were in the Union.

9. Commencement in the Grove Will Have An Ugly Eyesore Nearby

Upon the arrival of May, many seniors will be ending their tenure at the University. What's usually a glorious sight of thousands of white chairs seated in a lush, green Grove will now be accompanied by the site of that dreaded green tarp. If everyone faces forward in their seats, maybe we can pretend it's not there.

10. Juniors and Seniors Are In For Some Serious FOMO

With the entire completion of the front and back portions of the Ole Miss Student Union slated for the Fall of 2018, both the graduating classes of May 2017 and 2018 will only get to experience the brand-new Union as alumni returning for a home football game. Cue the sad face.

Sure, there are plenty of disappointing things about the Union's closing this semester. Honestly, the list could probably go on and on. But no matter the current inconveniences, the $59 million renovation and expansion of the Ole Miss Student Union is a sign of growth and progress in the University, and definitely something to be celebrated. After all, it will all be worth it when the new Union opens and future Rebels get to take it all in, in all its shining glory.