Yes, we’re all obsessed with avocados because they’re delicious and versatile. And yes, we all like to rattle off health facts about avocados to justify consuming inordinate amounts of guacamole. But I bet you don’t know these ten things about avocados. Read these fun facts and you’ll have even more information to share every time you enjoy an avocado.

avocado

Photo by Emma Delaney

1. Scientifically named “Persea Americana,” Avocados are fruits that can technically be considered berries.

2. Avocados originated in the highlands of Mexico and Central America. There is evidence that the indigenous people of the region have been using them for over 10,000 years.

3. Avocados are the Aztec symbol of love and fertility because they cannot self-pollinate and they grow in pairs on trees.

4. Avocados were once a luxury food item that only royalty had access to.

avocado

Photo by Ivan Dervisevic

5. In Jamaica, the common name for avocados is “alligator pear” because of its texture and shape.

6. Brazilians eat avocados with ice cream for dessert.

7. Avocados can stay on the tree for as long as eighteen months and they will not ripen until removed from the branch.

avocado

Photo by Samantha Thayer

8. Avocados make a great butter substitute in baked goods when used in the right quantities.

9. There exist 1,062 varieties of avocado and a single avocado tree can produce up to 500 avocados per year. (Now that’s a lot of avocados.)

10. An avocado has more potassium than a banana. A 1-ounce serving contains 150 mg or 4% of the daily recommended value of potassium.

avocado

Photo by Amelia Crook

Supplement your new knowledge with some of these tasty avocado recipes: