Protein is an essential nutrient that helps us maintain energy and strength.  Many people do not realize that they are not consuming a sufficient amount of protein each day, but don’t worry. There are easy ways to sneak protein into your daily diet. Popular sources of protein come from grains like quinoa, lean meats such as chicken and turkey, and fruits and veggies (think avocados). 

protein powder

Photo by Libby Perold

Another easily accessible source of protein is in the form of powder. It helps support muscle growth, making it a popular ingredient in many post-workout meals. However, drinking protein shakes everyday can be boring and eventually unhealthy. Switch it up by substituting and/or inserting protein powder into these traditional recipes.

When following the recipes on this list, use these three guidelines:

1. To prevent dryness…

protein powder

Photo by Megan Yee

You can mix in more greek yogurt, cottage cheese, applesauce, or even bananas. Whey protein easily dries up when cooked. If your batter is more than ¼ whey protein powder, add more of the other ingredients to ensure that there’s enough moisture. 

2. To maximize volume…

protein powder

Photo by Kendra Valkema

Use flour in your batter to add volume. You can use anything from regular flour, to almond flour, to oat, or even quinoa flour.

3. To add texture…

protein powder

Photo by Kai Huang

Add eggs or egg whites to add texture and to help hold the finished product together.

1. Edible Protein Cookie Dough

protein powder

Photo by Sara Brown

Mix equivalent amounts of vanilla protein powder, almond meal, and nut butter with one tablespoon of honey and two tablespoons of milk. Add chocolate chips or nuts and store the mix in the fridge. This dough isn’t meant for baking, but it can definitely solve most of your life’s problems.

2. PB & J Protein Pancakes

protein powder

Photo by Alyssa Modos

Who said pancakes are just for breakfast? You can enjoy a classic PB & J any time of day with a healthy dose of protein.

3. Pumpkin Protein Pancakes

protein powder

Photo by Malia Hu

Halloween in August? You don’t actually have to wait until October to enjoy pumpkin, especially when it’s paired with summer fruits like raspberries and blueberries.

#SpoonTip: There are tons of protein powder pancake recipes out there. More than likely, you’ll find any flavor you’re craving, so pumpkin isn’t your only option. 

4. Protein Pizza

protein powder

Photo by Mackenzie Barth

This recipe gives you a protein pizza crust, to which you can add your favorite toppings.

5. Banana Nutella Protein Muffins

protein powder

Photo by Julia Murphy

Nutella stuffed muffins that are actually good for you. What more do you need?

6. Protein Powder Cupcakes

protein powder

Photo by Lauren Feld

You can literally make whichever flavor your heart desires — chocolate, blueberry cheesecake, cookies & cream, and more.

7. Protein Bites

protein powder

Photo by Ali Barzyk

A perfect on the go snack between classes or at the office. Packed with protein, fiber, and sugar, these bites will help you keep your energy up throughout the day.

8. Protein Powder Oatmeal

protein powder

Photo by Raiselle Swick

Get fancy and add some of these fun toppings: coconut, pumpkin, nuts, berries, cinnamon and vanilla, apple slices, or even peanut butter.

9. Blueberry Vanilla Protein Oatmeal

protein powder

Photo by Becky Hughes

This blueberry protein oatmeal recipe makes for a sweet and healthy breakfast or a scrumptious mid-morning snack.

10. Protein Powder Waffles

protein powder

Photo by Kristine Mahan

You don’t have to feel guilty about this Sunday morning treat. Need ideas to add some flavor? Try topping them with cinnamon, nuts, chocolate, or berries. You can also drizzle them with nut butter, syrup, or even a scoop of greek yogurt for extra taste and an extra Instagrammable breakfast.

While protein is essential, be sure you are not consuming more protein powder than necessary. Balance out your diet with water, vegetables, fruits, and natural, organic sources of protein. Make sure to always talk to your doctor to find the best diet options for your body, and enjoy your protein.