Many people who try to cut or limit carbs from their diet spend their days feeling tired and unmotivated. This can lead to overeating carbs later in the day or to giving up one's weight loss or health goals entirely. The simple answer to this problem lies in the most important meal of the day—breakfast. The secret to the low-carb breakfast is in the protein. Here are some recipes to get you started.

1. Skinny Greek Omelet

vegetable, cheese, tomato, salad
Clarisse Callahan

Eggs are the ideal breakfast to cut down on carbs and rack up the protein. Greek omelets are especially great for this because of all the healthy veggies and tasty feta cheese in them. They also look and feel super classy.

2. 2-Ingredient Banana Pancakes

pancake, oatmeal
Caty Schnack

These pancakes are made out of just two ingredients—bananas and eggs. See, I told you eggs were important. Bananas have lots of healthy sugars in them which make the pancakes taste just as good as high carb ones, while being way healthier.

3. Cinnamon Toasted Coconut 

Toasted coconut

joyosity on Flickr

For those who can't get enough Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal, this is the answer. Cinnamon is actually really healthy for us, in moderate amounts of course. It only gets a bad rep because it tastes so good and is used in junk food cereals. A low-carb cinnamon toast crunch may seem like a miracle, but this recipe lives up to everything it promises. 

4. Peanut Butter Cup Energy Bites

oatmeal, chocolate, peanut, cookie
Emma Noyes

These Peanut Butter Cup Energy Bites may sound like a dessert, but they only requite five ingredients and are mostly made out of dates. Wonderfully sweet and easy to make ahead of time, these energy bites are great for both breakfast or a snack. 

5. Nut & Berry Parfait

Breakfast Parfait

Vegan Feast Catering on Flickr

Greek Yogurt has become more popular through the years, and using it in parfaits can lead to an energizing start to your day. Nuts and berries are both great for breakfast as they are high in protein and healthy sugars, not to mention they taste great. Feel free to mix up what berries and nuts you use. 

6. Stuffed Peppers

Stufft Pepper

YoLaGringo on Flickr

Although I've never been a big peppers fan, when I stuff them full with tasty goods they become one of my favourites. Breakfast is no exception to this, and stuffing peppers has become especially popular among paleos. This recipe also allows for a lot of variability, as you can switch up just what you stuff the peppers with.

7. Protein Shakes

watermelon, juice, sweet, melon
Kathleen Lee

There are so many different recipes for protein shakes that the list may as well be considered endless, although some are higher in carbs than others. Having a protein shake or smoothie for breakfast is always quick and easy. This is a route I often take because my body doesn't always feel ready for a solid meal so early in the morning, and I can still have a different flavour every day. 

8. Chia Breakfast Bowl

Birthday breakfast - bowl of oats with a chia seed heart!

coolinsights on Flickr

Chia seeds, while they may seem to be a more recent fad, have been around forever. In fact, Chia is Mayan for strength, which is exactly what you'll have all day if you fill up on these for breakfast. Here are some more recipes to make with chia seeds

9. Fruit with Peanut Butter

Sliced Apples and Peanut Butter

stevendepolo on Flickr

Fruits should always be included in your breakfast, so why not make them the star? Simply having a variety of fruits is good enough, but to add a little more protein and an extra element of taste, add a little peanut butter to some fruits, especially apples and bananas. It's a very popular but simple combination that you won't regret. 

10. Baked Eggs in Avocado Boats

egg, egg yolk
lauren feld

It's hard to go anywhere on the internet these days without running into a recipe with avocado, but for good reason. Avocados are high in protein and fiber, so they're really easily digested. Plus, they taste great with eggs.

Although all of the above recipes are great places to begin, don't feel limited! There are so many great low-carb breakfasts out there if you just keep your eyes open. You'll be on the path to a healthy lifestyle in no time.