As a college student, we all have busy lifestyles. With activities such as running from class to class, going to meetings, going to the gym, and working, it's hard to find time to sit down and eat. These are just a few of my go-to snack ideas that help keep me full until dinner and still taste good.

Nuts

Nuts are one of the best snacks to have not only because they taste good, but because they're actually keep you full. Nuts are filled with fiber and Omega-3 fatty acids which help you feel full and help keep your heart healthy. Almonds, cashews and peanuts are some of the most common and are easy to take with you in your backpack in a rush. However, calories add up fast in nuts if you don't pay attention, so be sure to measure out a serving first.

Fresh Fruit 

Instead of grabbing a candy bar from the vending machine, try to settle your sweet tooth with some fresh fruit. Fruits such as bananas, oranges, apples, and grapes are almost always available in dining halls or gas stations and will provide you with lasting energy and your daily dose of vitamins and minerals. For a more satisfying snack, pair some fruit with nuts or nut butters!

Fresh Veggies

Along the lines of fresh fruit, vegetables will keep you full and energized while providing tons of nutritional benefits. You can take them on the go raw or cook them beforehand. If you don't like plain vegetables, try dipping them in hummus or peanut butter. Throw some celery, broccoli, or peppers in a bag and you'll be good to go! 

Protein Bars

I'll admit that I get way too excited when I see new protein bars. Protein bars are one of my favorite snacks or desserts and there are so many options available. For a protein-packed and filling snack, my favorites are Quest Nutrition, OhYeah One bars, and MusclePharm Combat Crunch bars. For a lower carb and high fat option, try Powercrunch bars or KIND bars. 

Popcorn

When I think of dorm room snacks, popcorn always comes to mind. It's easy to take anywhere and you can have a ton of it for little calories and lots of fiber. When choosing popcorn, brands such as SkinnyPop, Boom Chicka Pop, and SmartFood which have little fat and low calories. 

Yogurt

Instead of stopping to get some ice cream, swap the creamy treat for something equally as delicious and that that'll provide protein and calcium. Yogurts come in all types of flavors to satisfy your cravings and for a more filling snack, try and add some fruit or nut butter. Be careful though, some yogurts have as much or more sugar as ice cream so check nutrition labels first

Pre-packaged Protein-Packed Snacks

Sometimes you can't always carry around fresh fruit and veggies or yogurt. When it comes to pre-packaged foods, you should try to make sure that they have a good amount  of protein and fiber to help keep you full. One of my favorite protein packed snacks are Enlightened roasted broad beans. While this might sound strange, these beans can be bought in sweet or savory flavors and taste great and keep you satiated. Another tasty snack is Quest protein chips. Instead of your usual fried and greasy chips, these are light and airy and provide the same amount of protein that a piece of chicken would!

Rice Cakes

Rice cakes...bland and tasteless? Most people think this, but really, they are one of the easiest and most versatile snacks out there. You can make it sweet with some almond or peanut butter and add some banana or you can make it savory and add some mashed avocado. The choices are endless and you'll be sure to find something that'll make you change your thoughts towards rice cakes. 

Dark Chocolate

If you're in a rush and just NEED that chocolate bar from the vending machine, dark chocolate is the way to go. Not only does it help to prevent stress but it also helps improve your heart health. 

String Cheese

String cheese has been a go-to snack since the elementary school days. Not only does it taste good (and is fun to eat), but it also provides calcium, protein and fat and is easy to throw in your backpack before class!

Next time you're in a rush on your way to class or the library, try one of these snack ideas instead of the usual bag of Lays chips or Milky Way bar.