Spoon University is looking for a badass associate editor to help expand our network of contributors, identify top performers, maintain the editorial standard across the entire network and build our engaged user base over time.
The primary goal of the associate editor is to provide a platform for college students to share their food opinions, tips, hacks and more, while overseeing and maintaining the quality and quantity of content from our thousands of writers on university campuses worldwide.
The associate editor will help shape the Spoon voice by editing, publishing, curating and promoting quality content, as well as teaching and mentoring contributors at their select group of chapters.
Ideal candidates are excited about working in a fast-paced startup environment and enjoy teaching and mentoring others. This person can command authority while building trust and rapport with remote writers, has a long list of editing pet peeves and can express ideas clearly, concisely and effectively. They also have an insane attention to detail and are great at catching the little mistakes.
- Maintain Spoon’s editorial standards across assigned chapters and mentor contributors in assigned chapters
- Edit, format, provide feedback and publish community-generated content
- Train campus editorial directors in best practices to help take their sites live and provide ongoing feedback for improvement
- Strategize with social and audience development teams and refer top articles for social and newsletter promotion
- Use analytics to make informed content decisions and advise contributors on trending content
- Identify top contributors for nationally relevant and sponsored content
- Optimize headlines, SEO, featured images and overall article formatting
- 2+ years experience in editorial or copywriting positions; management experience is a plus
- Proven ability to work well under pressure, complete tasks efficiently and handle tight deadlines
- Impeccable communication, writing and editing skills (video and photo experience is a HUGE plus)
- Ability to scan copy quickly, identify strengths and weaknesses of a piece and provide constructive feedback and edits while preserving a writer’s voice
- Great at working independently as well as part of a team
- Critical eye for trending and socially relevant content that will resonate with our audience
The associate editor will join the 20-person SpoonHQ team at their office in midtown Manhattan. Owning a dog is a plus. To apply, email your resume and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us why we should hire you. If we think it’s a good fit, we’ll be in touch.