When it comes to thick yogurts, Greek yogurt seems to be king, but there are tons of under appreciated thickened yogurts o out there. Thickened yogurt gets its thicker and richer consistency by straining . The straining process also means it takes more milk to make the same cup of yogurt, thereby making strained yogurts higher in protein than normal yogurt.

In addition to Greek yogurt, there are other strained yogurts that have been a staple in various countries for hundreds of years. Skyr is the traditional yogurt of Iceland, a strained yogurt similar to Greek yogurt. According to legend, people in remote Iceland villages eat skyr with a knife and fork because it is so thykk, the Icelandic word for thick.

Quark is another thick yogurt variety, commonly enjoyed by residents of German-speaking countries, as well as Scandinavian and Slavic countries. It’s considered to be a fresh cheese in these countries, and has a much less sour taste than Greek yogurt or skyr. Because of this, it’s often used as a spread on toast and in baking.

Here are some of our favorite thykk yogurts that aren’t Chobani.

Siggi’s Dairy

Photo credit: Siggi’s Dairy

Siggi’s is a skyr created by Siggi, an Icelandic native living in NYC. Siggi’s does not contain any artificial preservatives, thickeners, sweeteners, flavors or colors. It comes in a large variety of delicious flavors, as well as unique, seasonal ones like spiced apple and vanilla cardamom.

Smari Organics

Photo credit: Smari Organics

Try sprinkle some coconut chips on the pineapple Smári for a guilt-free Pina Colada! The New Orleans coffee flavor is perfect for getting that extra dose of caffeine – with more calcium and protein that a cup of coffee of course.

Sohha Savory Yogurt

Photo courtesy of Sohha Yogurt

The next time you’re thinking of putting butter on your sandwich or cream cheese on your bagel, try Sohha. However, since milk has a natural sweetness, you can also enjoy Sohha with your favorite granola and fruit.

Elli Quark

Photo courtesy of Elli Quark

Elli Quark has a fantastic protein-to-carb ratio, and no added sugar or artificial sweeteners. It comes in a range of tasty flavors like sea salt caramel, red velvet and mint chocolate.

Misha Dairy

Photo courtesy of Misha Dairy

The lack of tartness in quark makes Misha’s flavored quark such as vanilla bean coconut and mango peach taste like dessert—minus the extra calories. It is possible to have your cake and eat it too!

Epic Seed

Photo courtesy of Epic Seed

Now you can have your Greek yogurt and chia pudding in one container! Chia seeds are a superfood packed with Omega-3s and protein, making Epic Seed an optimal balance of protein, fiber and healthy fat. Why not try this for your next breakfast on the go?