Problem: You’ve just hosted a house party or downed too many beers, and now bottle caps are cluttering up your kitchen/living room.

Solution: Make bottle cap magnets. It’s a clever, easy, and cheap way to show off all the beers you’ve tried, and will remind you to grab a cold one next time you reach into the fridge.

Bottle Caps

Photo by Jenna Hively

Materials Needed:

• bottle caps
  • glue gun (super glue works, too!)
  • magnets (3/4 in diameter ceramic disc magnets work best, found at the hardware store)

Step 1. Open a beer

Bottle Caps

GIF by Jenna Hively

Try and be careful when opening your beer to prevent cap deformation. This will ensure nice and pretty magnets.

#SpoonTip: Lift up using the bottle opener a little at a time while rotating the bottle to preserve the cap’s shape.

Step 2. Clean the cap

Bottle Caps

Photo by Jenna Hively

You want to make sure to get rid of any residual beer gunk so your magnets stick.

Step 3. Glue on magnet

Bottle Caps

GIF by Jenna Hively

One side of the magnet will attract the bottle cap better than the other. Turn over the bottle cap and determine which side it is in preparation for gluing. To glue, simply glue the center of the cap and carefully place the magnet where you glued, with the side attracting the bottle cap face down.

Step 4. Let dry

Bottle Caps

Photo by Jenna Hively

Believe it or not, this part is the hardest. Just like the magnets attract one side of the cap, the bottle caps (with the glued-on magnets) will now attract each other. It’s a pain in the butt when all of your magnets stick together and your glue is still drying.

Be sure to leave plenty of space between the caps to allow them to dry. Depending on what glue you use, you should let them dry anywhere from a few hours to 24 hours. Usually, overnight is sufficient.

Step 5. Decorate your fridge

Bottle Caps

Photo by Jenna Hively

Have fun and get creative with your new creations.

#SpoonTip: This craft is also wine-lover friendly – You can also make bottle cap magnets with the caps from caged sparkling wine bottles or 750ml bottles of beer.

Cheers!

Bottle Caps

Photo by Jenna Hively