I don’t know about you, but the last two weeks of school have been high key hectic and stressful. The only thing that has gotten me through those long nights of studying were the upcoming Ivies events.

partying gif

gif courtesy of giphy.com

Now I know a lot of you are excited, but there are some key factors to remember that you don’t typically consider when going out on a Friday night. Here are a couple of tips to help you enjoy the week full of events without being that person who doesn’t make it past 2 pm.

1. It’s a marathon not a sprint.

ivies

Photo courtesy of Avery Wolfe

I know, I know, you have been repeatedly told this over the last few days, but it is key to remember in order to sustain a long day of drinking. Don’t get too excited the first day you go out and start ripping shots before the day festivities have even begun. You will end up burnt out while everyone else is still enjoying the outdoors.

#SpoonTip: Make a large mixed drink (make it on the stronger side) and drink that throughout the day to ensure a sustainable drunkenness.

2. Hydrate, hydrate, and hydrate.

ivies

Photo courtesy of Alex Tom from Northwestern University

This is especially crucial on those days that you are starting off with a hangover. Alcohol dehydrates you and you will be out in the sun and dancing, which will only make you lose more water. Go stop by Hannafords and fill your cart with coconut water and gatorade to give you those extra electrolytes.

3. Get a good night’s sleep before you begin Ivies.

day-drinking sleeping

It might be too late if you started on Sunday, but make sure to get a good night’s rest before you start your Ivies festivities. Let’s be honest, no one ever naps and rallies. You will just end up taking a nap with the intent to go out later, but you will just wake up feeling gross and stay in bed.

#SpoonTip: If you do decide to nap, be prepared to consume a ton of coffee afterwards because all the alcohol and earlier activities will hit you right when you wake up.

4. Avoid sharing your drinks.

day-drinking hangover Ivies

You’re out on the quad dancing away when you see one of your friends and their huge jug of some sort of alcoholic concoction. Your first impulse is to ask for some, but be warned, you don’t want to end up with the post Ivies sickness. That’s why you should follow tip #1 and just stick to your own drink.

5. Take some supplements.

ivies

Photo courtesy of Ari Richman from Colgate University

To ensure that you don’t get the post Ivies illness and that hangover doesn’t hit you too badly, make sure to take some vitamin supplements on the days you’re going out. Emergency drinks are great ways to make sure you get all your daily vitamins and some even make great chasers. Also taking a vitamin B supplement can reduce the effects of your inevitable hangover.

All and all, have fun, be safe, and make some great memories.

day-drinking partying