If you’ve ever dreamed about cutting out calories from your food, it looks like your prayers are finally being answered.

What is it? Earlier this month, researchers in Sri Lanka discovered a new way of cooking rice that reduces its calories by over 50%. According to the leader of the research group, Sudhair James, this new method changes the amount of digestible and indigestible starches found in regular rice so that your body is able to absorb fewer calories from the rice and store less calories as fat.

How does it work? The secret behind preparing lower-calorie rice couldn’t be any easier. Start off by adding 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to a cup of boiling water. Then simmer ½ cup of white rice for 40 minutes or boil it for 20-25 minutes. Once the rice is finished, store it in the fridge and allow it to cool for 12 hours. Before serving, quickly reheat it in a microwave, and voilà – you have yourself a quick and easy bowl of low-calorie rice!

Other things to learn? The point of the study was to find an alternative way of addressing obesity that could be especially useful for developing countries that rely heavily on rice as a diet staple. I think the study also shows just how important food preparation is in influencing the nutrient profile of a food. Cooking methods to reduce the calorie contents of other foods and different types of rice have yet to be discovered, but in the meantime, go ahead and enjoy some of that white rice with less guilt.

For more information, you can read about the full study or watch this press conference with the research leader.

More rice?