As a tea-loving college student, you might find yourself compromising for mediocre store-brand bags in order to keep your bank account out of the negatives. I’m here to tell you that you can have all the ginger rooibos, rose petal and Moroccan mint tea you can get your hands on. How? Homemade tea bags.

Buying loose leaf in bulk is not only cheaper, but it’s higher in quality and it’s more eco-friendly (who needs the box anyway?). So put down that box of Lipton tea and raise those pinkies. It’s about to get fancy, Mr. Darcy style.

Tea

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

Easy

Prep Time: 1 minute
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 3 minutes

Coffee filter
1 tablespoon loose leaf tea
5″ string
Paper
Scissors
Stapler

Tea

Photo by Maris Altieri

Directions:

1. Press coffee filter on a hard surface until flattened.  Cut off the rounded edges so the filter is rectangular  in shape.

Tea

Photo by Maris Altieri

2. Add 1 teaspoon loose leaf tea to the coffee filter.

Tea

Photo by Maris Altieri

3. Fold the coffee filter the long way, enclosing the tea.

4. Fold the edges of the long side three times (the folds should be small) towards the middle.

Tea

Photo by Maris Altieri

5. Recenter the tea to the middle of the coffee filter if necessary.

6. Fold the coffee filter in half and trim the top of the tea bag.

Tea

Photo by Maris Altieri

7. Bend the edges towards each other so that it comes to a point (like a paper airplane).

Tea

Photo by Maris Altieri

8. Fold the tip slightly and staple your string to the top of the bag.

Tea

Photo by Maris Altieri

9. Cut out a small piece of paper (around 1″x 2″), fold it in half, and staple to the string.

10. Snuggle up in an electric blanket, crack open that book you’ve been meaning to read for a year now and sip away.

Tea

Photo by Maris Altieri

Want to know why tea is so awesome? Check out the links below: