Butter Up

thanksgiving turkey tips

Photo by Aly Forman

Rubbing the outside of the turkey with butter will help give you the crisp, flavorful skin guests will fight over. The butter makes the skin golden brown and glossy when it comes out of the oven. Relax, its the holidays. Nobody’s counting calories here.

Rub-a Dub Dub

thanksgiving turkey tips

Photo by Aly Forman

The skin of the turkey gives the bird a lot of its flavor. Therefore, a signature spice rub is important to create a flavor that will satisfy the taste buds. For a flavorful spice rub, try onion powder, garlic salt and paprika for a little heat. Do not forget to add a healthy amount of salt and pepper for a perfectly seasoned fowl.

Give Your Turkey a Bath

thanksgiving turkey tips

Photo by Aly Forman

Basting the turkey in some kind of liquid will keep the bird moist. Most people use turkey or chicken stock as their baste of choice. However, for this Thanksgiving, try using a mixture of chicken stock, water and a splash of orange juice. The citrus from the orange juice brings out the natural flavors of the turkey. For an even richer flavor, inject the liquid inside the turkey before cooking.

Low and Slow is the Way to Go

Cooking the perfect turkey requires a great deal of time and care. Preheat your oven between 350°F and 400°F and let the turkey cook for 3-4 hours. After the first hour of cooking, soak the turkey with the liquid from the bottom of the pan every 30 minutes to ensure that the bird stays flavorful and juicy.

A Good Afternoon Nap

thanksgiving turkey tips

Photo by Kimberly Viniet

I know it’s tempting to cut into the turkey immediately. However, cutting into the turkey too early will release the juices and leave you with a dry bird that’s hard to swallow (you know what I’m talking about). Let the bird rest for about an hour before slicing. To resist the temptation, go watch football or something.

For more Thanksgiving tips, go to:
How to Throw a College Friendsgiving 
Dark Meat vs. White Meat Turkey
Deconstructed Turkey Dinner, On a Sandwitch