As summer begins to make its appearance here at Elon, I start to crave fresh fruit. Not that I don’t crave fruit the rest of the year, but fruit is practically nonexistent on this campus. Unless you have an absurd love for honeydew and cantaloupe, that is. As I spend more time outside, I am simply dying for that fresh flavor that a smoothie provides.

summer, nostalgia, smoothie, pokemon

Here at Elon, I am having smoothie withdrawal. Let’s be real, I simply can’t afford to buy fruit every day, or make that trip to Tropical Smoothie. Not to mention that fruit has a lot of nutrients my body has been missing in the winter. Here is one FREE way to get your fruit fix by hacking Elon’s dining halls. So grab your phoenix card and walk on over to Lakeside.

Orange is the new black,

When you get to Lakeside ask for a cup and a to-go box. Then fill the box with fruit and yogurt. I typically try to get as much pineapple and strawberries as possible. Make sure you grab a ripe banana too.

smoothie

Photo by Keikichi Littleton

Now I know you’re wondering, what am I supposed to do with the cup? Head over to the drinks and fill it to the brim with ice and then add in some orange juice.  This will add more flavor to your drink and give it that cool thickness smoothies are known for.

If you want to make it a little more adventurous you can add some peanut butter, spinach for a green smoothie, or even substitute milk for the orange juice.

smoothie

Photo by Keikichi Littleton

The only really tough thing about this hack is that you’ll need to borrow someone’s blender if you don’t already have one. I personally don’t have one so I asked around and borrowed my suite-mates.  Don’t worry though someone is bound to have one on your floor or in your building.

smoothie

Photo by Keikichi Littleton

When you’ve got all the ingredients, simply layer them fruit first and pour the ice and orange juice over top.  Blend and enjoy your free fruit smoothie! If you have leftover fruit, just pop it into the freezer to use at a later date.

smoothie

Photo by Keikichi Littleton