Durian. One of the world’s most controversial fruits. It has been dubbed as the “King of Fruits” in many Southeast Asian countries, such as Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand, yet most westerners vomit at the sight of it – well, more like at the smell of it. The shell of the fruit resembles Bowser from Super Mario Brothers, while the inside holds a creamy, edible flesh with the most repulsive stink. This spiky fruit is known best for being the world’s stinkiest fruit.

Here are 4 reasons why durian is the coolest fruit:

Durian reeks:

Durian

Photo courtesy of wikipedia.com

The saying goes that durian “smells like hell, tastes like heaven.” If you’ve ever been within a block of the fruit, you would know what I’m talking about. The pungent stench has been compared to red onions that have been left in the cellar for years and then marinated in acetone, turpentine, hot poop garbage, and moldy gym socks. In fact, durians have been banned from many public places in Thailand and Singapore, and for good reason – their smell is so overwhelming.

But tastes like heaven:

Durian

Photo courtesy of lifehack.org

If you are brave enough to get past its potent smell, the flesh tastes sweet, rich, and creamy, like a fruit should be. A fan may describe it as “sugar cream or creme brûlée, but with more personality.” It is an acquired taste for westerners; many people try it for the experience, while others refuse to go near it. Personally, I thought it tastes like an overly sweet, mushy onion – I’m not quite sure if that’s a good thing or not.

Durian is packed with nutrients:

Durian

Photo courtesy of chugyourgreens.com

Like many fruits, durian comes packed with unique health benefits, which could act as an incentive to try the smelly fruit. The flesh is loaded with antioxidants, supports normal cholesterol levels, and thought to contain antibacterial properties that may ease a cough. It provides you with vitamins C and B, potassium, fiber, protein, and monounsaturated (healthy) fats. Additionally, durian is heavy in protein, which makes it ideal for a vegetarian or vegan diet.

It tastes amazing in recipes:

Durian

Photo courtesy of foodiebaker.com

Not convinced to try the fruit? No problem. You can instead try durian hidden in treats, like crispy durian rolls, sweet durian pancakes, or durian ice cream. Unlike the fresh fruit, these durian-in-disguise foods are accepted as tasty by most people. They also prove to be great gateway foods for people who wish to acquire a taste for fresh durian. Durian is also sold frozen or dried, which helps to reduce the smell – after all, the smell is what keeps most people away.

Do you think you have the balls to try durian?