Summer smells like craft breweries and tastes like 2 for $5 strawberries. These are the berries of humid months, of long-distance flirting and outdoor hikes that leave bright, red welts on the skin. Strawberries: they're ruby, juicy, and every other sensual adjective I can write. How to store strawberries is the last thing on an eager eater's mind. 

However, tasty as they might be, strawberries don't last forever. Like avocados, strawberries have a prime window of ripeness–until the honeymoon ends, and you’re left with mushy goo. Here’s how to store strawberries so they retain their flavor, despite the 85 degree+ afternoons and nights spent slapping mosquitos by the beer cooler.

I read several articles to prep for this article that discussed washing strawberries in vinegar, storing them in paper towels in the fridge, or freezing them for the long run. I compiled these random tips into the ultimate "Keep Your Strawberries Fresh AF" guide. It’s time for a trip to Kroger, since your berries are about to get a facelift. 

How To Store Strawberries

• Cook Time:0

• Strawberries
  • White Vinegar
  • Water
cream, yogurt, strawberry
Mackenzie Patel

First, separate your berries by time frame. When are you going to eat them? Berries that will be eaten within the next few days to a week claim one pile; long-term strawberries (a month or more) go in the other.

sweet, pasture, berry, strawberry
    Mackenzie Patel

Weed out the rotten strawberries and throw them away. Spoiled or moldy strawberries can ruin the whole bunch.

sweet, berry, strawberry
    Mackenzie Patel

For the short-term strawberries, place them in a white vinegar and water mix. Sources vary as to the correct ratio of water to vinegar, but it’s safe to assume a 1:6 ratio (i.e. ¼ cup of vinegar and 1 ½ cup of water) is fine. Let them soak for a few minutes – this will kill any remaining bacteria/spores and freshen the berries.

berry, sweet, strawberry
    Mackenzie Patel

Wash off the strawberries in a colander and let them air dry for 15 to 20 minutes. This will get rid of the vinegar taste.

sweet, berry, strawberry
    Mackenzie Patel

The main enemy of fresh, succulent strawberries is moisture, so eradicate that with paper towels. To properly store strawberries in the fridge, place them in a plastic Tupperware lined with paper towels. The towels will absorb any remaining moisture and prevent mold.

yogurt, cream, sweet, berry, strawberry
    Mackenzie Patel

For longer lasting strawberries, the key to longevity is the freezer. Instead of washing your berries, freeze them on a covered baking sheet (wax paper or plastic wrap works) for a 3 to 4 hours. Take them out and then place them in a Ziploc bag for long-term storage.

strawberry, cake
    Mackenzie Patel

See? Storing strawberries is as easy as picking them off the vine. Your mouth can taste the stink of rotting, overripe strawberries, so treat it well with fresh foods. However, there is another secret method to having eternally fresh strawberries: devour the carton in one sitting–no preservation needed.