Everyone has that bag of brown sugar in the back of the pantry that always seems to be hard when you want to make chocolate chip cookies. After scouring the internet, I've found out how to soften hard brown sugar two ways. The first one is if you need the brown sugar immediately, and the other is if you plan ahead.

Both work well and can be used interchangeably. It just depends on whether or not you plan ahead on when you need your brown sugar.

The Microwave Method

• Hard brown sugar
  • Damp paper towel
curry, bread
Kara Schiaparelli

Put your hard brown sugar in a microwave-safe bowl.

chocolate
    Kara Schiaparelli

Place a damp paper towel on top of the brown sugar.

cake, coffee, chocolate
    Kara Schiaparelli

Microwave the sugar 20-25 seconds at a time until you get nice and soft brown sugar.

coffee, tea, cake
    Kara Schiaparelli

The Bread Method

• Cook Time:2 days
  • Total Time:2 days 2 mins

• Hard brown sugar
  • 1 slice bread
cumin, garam masala, condiment, cinnamon, herb, relish, coffee
Kara Schiaparelli

Put the hard brown sugar in a container with a lid.

condiment, garam masala, chocolate, herb, cinnamon, relish, coffee
    Kara Schiaparelli

Place a piece of bread on top of the brown sugar.

rye, flour, toast, cereal, wheat, bread
    Kara Schiaparelli

Put the lid on the container and leave for 24-48 hours. The bread will put moisture back in the sugar and will become stale itself.

beer, water
    Kara Schiaparelli

In the future, however, you can make sure that your brown sugar never goes hard by storing it in an airtight container. The lack of air exposure guarantees that the sugar will stay nice and soft.

Now that you have these two methods for how to soften hard brown sugar, you are always ready to make some delicious treats. Brown sugar isn't just for baking, you know. You can make salmon, vegan ice cream, and candied bacon with it too!