Winter is the perfect time to send care packages, especially for friends or relatives that won't be home for the holidays. If you're like me, it's a nice excuse to show off your baking skills, or lack of them I might say, (hey, baking is like pizza–even when it's bad it's still pretty good!). To mail and package baked goods can be a real heart-warming gift that'll heat up anyone's chilly winter nights.

Whether you're sending cookies or bars, over state lines or overseas, it can be tricky to properly package baked goods and make sure it all stays fresh and intact. Here's how to pack everything from start to finish in order for your friends to get their goodies in perfect condition.

1. Choose baked goods that ship well.

cookie, blueberry, chocolate
Brooke Buchan

Try to stick to hearty and sturdy baked goods that will keep their integrity and shape through the journey to the mailbox. Think moist, firm and durable treats, such as quick breads and muffins (banana, pumpkin, zucchini); cookies (oatmeal, snickerdoodles, sugar, gingerbread); bars (brownies, blondies); cakes (carrot, pound cake, fruitcakes) and candies (fudge, brittle, rock candy).

2. Avoid frostings, fillings, and glazes.

cream, chocolate
Photo courtesy at pixabay.com

As tempting as fancy glazed or frosted goodies seem, those need to be kept cool to prevent melting or becoming sticky. These types of goods can become soggy in transit, and nothing is sadder than receiving a box full of mushy, rotten treats. If it requires chilling or refrigeration, it's a no from me.

3. Wrap each baked good individually.

rye bread, pastry, wheat, cake, chocolate, sweet, brown bread, bread
Spoon University

Always wrap each baked good separately with plastic wrap. This means that each cookie, each muffin, each slice of bread needs to be wrapped by itself before being placed in a container. This allows the flavors and textures of each to be maintained. And don't forget to place wax paper in between to prevent them from sticking.

4. Package with a slice of bread.

sandwich, sweet, cereal, wheat, toast, bread
Spoon University

As weird as this may sound, packaging with one of these will actually conserve the moisture of the baked goods. Just place a piece of bread either at the top or bottom of each bag before sealing it and the moisture from the bread will permeate to your baked goods via some sort of cookie osmosis.

5. Pack your goods in an airtight container.

tea, coffee
Photo courtesy of pixabay.com

Skip out on the plastic tupperware when shipping goodies. Pack each type of good in its own food-safe bag or freezer bag. Then place those bags into yet another container, preferably tin and airtight for the final precautionary step for insulation against crumbling into shambles.

6. Secure your goods with cushions.

corn, dairy, cottage cheese, butter, cereal, cream, sweet, popcorn, milk
Spoon University

Safety first, so completely cushion every nook and cranny of the box. You should not be able to hear the items move when shifting the box. Filling the box up to capacity ensures that things don't move around or get smooshed. Do so with bubble wrap, newspaper, or packing peanuts. My favorite thing to use for insulation is a real game-changer: bags of popped popcorn or mini marshmallows–now the recipient has a snack to give them the energy to unpack their goodies! 

With your packages ready for transit, remember to choose a speedy method of shipping depending on what goods you've baked, ensuring that they travel well and arrive whole, and not in crumbs. Get ready to turn up the heat and get your bake on; because nothing warms the heart more than sending a box of comfort during these cool nights.