Fresh radishes are a compact treat perfect for busy students on the go. After a quick rinse you can pop them into a small Tupperware container or Ziploc bag, toss them in your backpack and they’ll last all day. When you consider that these bite size snacks are inexpensive, full of vitamins, and not to mention scrumptious, there’s no reason to choose a bag of chips instead. Unfortunately for a lot of people radishes are just too hot to eat raw. But if you don’t want to miss out on all the radish-y goodness, here’s how to beat the heat.

1. Lightly rinse radishes to remove dirt.
2. Cut off the ends of each radish.

Radishes

Photo by Hannah Fullmer

3. Holding the radish firmly make several vertical cuts in the radish. Cut about three-quarters of the way into the radish, making sure not to cut completely through the radish.
4. Turn the radish 90 degrees and repeat step three to make a grid pattern in the radish.

Radishes

Photo by Hannah Fullmer

5. Place the cut radishes into a bowl of ice water and leave in the fridge. The longer the radishes sit in the cold water the milder their taste will become. As such, the length of the ice bath should be adjusted according to individual taste. However, roughly forty-five minutes is recommended.

Radishes

Photo by Hannah Fullmer

6. Remove the radishes from the ice water and they’re ready to eat. Enjoy this pleasant treat now or store in a dry container or plastic bag and save them for later.