If you don’t know by now, the key to a healthy lifestyle is a balanced diet—comprised of a variety of nutrients so your body’s organs can work efficiently and effectively.

Well, what about your hair? Is your hair and scalp impacted by the sprays and creams you feed it? Indeed, it is. I think of commercial hair products as the equivalent to packaged, manufactured, industrial food—both contain known and studied toxins and contaminants that can have harmful effects to our body.

The ingredients in hair products are just as important to one’s health and vitality as the ingredients in the food we eat. The same unidentifiable ingredients and toxic chemicals in some industrial produced food are found in cosmetics products, and they do in fact damage the body as well.

Many of us seem to be so committed to buying organic, local, and sustainably grown food; but at the end of the day, the hair products the majority of the population uses contradicts these organically-minded individuals food values. There are alternatives, however; products that include natural ingredients like the ones listed below.

There is a way to bring shine and strength to your hair, without using commercially branded and advertised products that contain harmful ingredients for your hair. When promoting good hair health, you should approach this with the attitude that you are feeding it, just as we feed our bodies—balanced and naturally. By thinking about it that way, we can stop the habit of unconsciously pouring chemical heavy shampoos, moisturizers, and creams on our hair— the key is to think just as much about your hair products, as you do the ingredients in your meals.

Let’s take a look at some ingredients that can help us put our hair on the same healthy diet we strive to give our body. Below is a list of ingredients that you should look out for  in your next hair product purchases:

Hair

Photo by Molly Krohe

Avocado = A natural oil with powerful hair conditioning properties that replenishes and maintains inner hair moisture and nourishment. This oil is high in essentially fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamin E, and protein- all healthy hair essential nutrients.

Hair

Photo by Kennard P

Coconut = Gentle, foaming cleansers derived from coconut fatty acids used to remove dirt, oil, and other impurities from the hair.

Hair

Photo by Ana Cvetkovic

Green Tea = A powerful antioxidant that helps protect the skin and hair from the damaging effects of free-radicals such as smoke, UV rays, and pollution.

Hair

Photo by Erica Wong

Coconut oil = A miracle nut oil rich in Vitamin E, Vitamin K, and fatty acids which nourish the hair and seal in moisture to protect hair from breakage. By penetrating the hair shaft, coconut oil also protects against environmental impurities and excess heat.

Hair

Photo by Davana Bolton

Almonds = A natural lightweight oil that promotes shine & luster and nourishes dry or weak hair. This ingredient also smoothes the hair cuticle and locks in moisture.

Hair

Photo by Alexandra Hayes

Quinoa extract = A vegetable based extract rich in vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Quinoa forms a protective barrier to protect the hair from environmental stresses, retains moisture in the hair, and provides nutrients to the hair.

Hair

Photo by Kendra Valkema

Ginger root = A natural oil known for its scalp and follicle stimulating properties that help promote hair growth.

Source of ingredient list, Briogeo Hair Care

If you’re interested in a product that will “feed” your hair, I recommend Briogeo’s line of natural hair products containing the ingredients above. I was impressed by the versatility of the ingredients they use, as most of which are in my kitchen cabinet.