The cold winter air is extremely harsh on our skin, making it increasingly dry with every second that we spend outside. Who wants dry, flaky skin when you can have skin as smooth as a baby's butt? Avoid looking like a snake with this vanilla coconut body butter.

This body butter is made completely from natural ingredients and is my go-to moisturizer. Not only is this recipe incredibly simple and smells delicious, but it could also double as an infused oil to use in baking (I would definitely make a separate batch for that purpose though).

Vanilla Coconut Body Butter

• 8 fl oz solid coconut oil
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 vanilla bean

Empty the coconut oil out into a glass or leave it in its original container and microwave it until it is just melted.

milk, yogurt, cream
    Darya Mack

Pour the melted oil into the jar or container that you plan to use for storage.

Add a couple drops of vanilla extract, to preference. You won't be able to add much more than a ½ teaspoon effectively since you're mixing oil and alcohol. If you prefer a different scent, you could add a different extract or essential oil.

beer, liquor
    Darya Mack

Cut a slit down the vanilla bean and then scrape out the insides. Cut up what is left of the vanilla bean. Toss the cut up pieces into the jar and let them fall to the bottom. These are used to continue to infuse the coconut oil. Then mix in the vanilla bean seeds. Adding a vanilla bean is optional but definitely takes the scent of this body butter to a new level.

Let the oil set and re-solidify for a few hours in the fridge or overnight and then you can store it anywhere.

milk, cream, yogurt, dairy product, sweet, garlic sauce
    Darya Mack

There you have it! This body butter could even make a great gift if packaged in a decorative jar. Feel free to vary the amounts to make however much you need. I usually put it on after I shower to lock in moisture, concentrating it on my elbows, knees, and feet. In addition, you can rub a bit into your legs before a night out so they'll have an extra glow and shine.