Butter is the backbone of America when it comes to putting it on your toast in the morning and smothering your dinner vegetables with it at night. There will come a time when you realize your butter is just too far past the expiration date to justify using it, but luckily for all of us that is not an end-all-be-all situation.

Healthy butter alternatives are not just a convenience but the perfect opportunity to incorporate healthy fats into your toppings and meals. Here are your options.

1. Olive Oil

beer, wine
Gaby Derlly

Olive oil is a solid go-to when it comes to salads and pastas, but the health benefits of olive oil should be shared with the rest of the food groups. While the good stuff can be pretty pricey, olive oil can be used in baking in order to lower cholesterol. If a recipe calls for 8 tablespoons of butter, use 6 tablespoons of oil.

2. Avocado

avocado, vegetable, sweet, guacamole
Jessica Kelly

While smothering avocado on your toast is one simple healthy butter alternative, you can easily incorporate avocado into your baked goods and recipes to get more of the health benefits from this healthy fat. A one-to-one ratio makes it easy to figure out how much avocado to use when butter isn't an option. 

3. Greek Yogurt

milk, cream, yogurt, dairy product, coffee, sweet
Kathleen Lee

Replacing any ingredient in a recipe can slightly change the outcome, from moistness to shelf-life, but Greek yogurt is a strong contender to keep those elements intact while cutting the overall fat content. You only need to use a half cup of yogurt for every cup of butter required. 

4. Applesauce

apple, meat, sauce, beef, vegetable, pork
Kendra Valkema

As a substitute for oil, butter, or eggs, applesauce might just be making a comeback from your elementary school days. Using the same amount of applesauce as butter will ensure that your treat or meal stays moist and healthy. This swap is popular in baking, but get creative when you have the chance. You'll be swopping calories for fiber, which is a plus we forget about.

5. Other Fruit Purees

banana, vegetable

Apples are not the other fruit that can add the needed moisture and fat that butter adds. Bananas, pineapples, and pears are great sources of fat while adding other health benefits from the different fruits. Similar to the applesauce, use the same amount of puree as you would butter. 

6. Low-fat ricotta Cheese 

shop local, farmer's market, local dairy, Local Milk, local cheese, fresh cheese, cheese, milk, dairy product, artisan cheese
Sam Jesner

A common swap for baking breads, this substitute will add the calcium and vitamins that butter could not. The low-fat part is not necessary, but it does lower concerns for those worried about overall fat intake. You're usually good with a one-to-one ratio in this case.

7.  Coconut Oil

milk, yogurt
Andrew Zaky

Might as well just stock your house with coconut oil because this stuff does it all. Including body cream and paint remover usage, coconut oil can be used to cook with as a substitute for butter. Use this to oil a cooking pan or incorporate it into dessert. Like most of your other options, you can use a one-to-one ratio.

Whether your butter is expired or you are simply looking for some healthier fats, you will never be out of options. Don't be so quick to make a trip to the store for a new box because a healthy butter alternative may already be sitting around your house.