Summer is quickly approaching, which means so are our summer bods. Now, I don't know about you, but my gym shoes have been in hibernation all winter and are ready to hit the treadmill. 

There's nothing like getting a good sweat in and leaving the gym knowing you'll be struggling to climb the stairs in the morning. However, one thing that you can more than likely go without is the stench. 

Yeah, that's right. You know what I'm talking about. You get home, untie your shoes and unleash those pungent odors into the atmosphere. It's natural for our bodies to perspire throughout the day, especially when exercising.  

Buuut we've all had the same thought about that sweaty smell: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STAY AT THE GYM and please don't follow me home! Luckily, here are five homemade hacks to make that summer stench debut a little more bearable:  

Baking Soda 

salt, sweet, milk
Jedd Marrero

The easiest remedy in the book! Sprinkle some baking soda into your shoes after use and let them sit overnight. The following morning, clean out the baking soda and boom! Go run that mile. 

#Spoon Tip: Have left over baking soda and don't know what to do with it? Check out this article.   

Essential Oils

rosemary, oil, tea, herb, olive oil
Jessica Kelly

Slowly pour your choice of essential oil into the sole of your shoe then place paper over the liquid. A few hours will do the job or overnight works as well. 

#SpoonTip: Not sure which essential oil would be most useful? No worries, this article has done all the research for you.

Black Tea Bags

tea
Caitlin Wolper

You know when you do a lab in class and find how much bacteria is on something? Yeah well imagine doing that to your precious pair of Nikes

Black Tea contains tannins which help kill off bacteria. Place your tea bags on top of boiling water for a few minutes then place on shoe after cooling. Allow it to sit for a hour before removing and wiping off any moisture that may have dripped onto the shoe. 

#SpoonTip: In the mood to brew some tea now? Here's a guide to which kind you should try. 

Vinegar + Alcohol

alcohol, liquor, vinegar, beer, whisky, maple syrup, oil, syrup, wine, cider, juice, mead
kelsey kushner

Mix vinegar and isopropyl alcohol and apply to feet to kill odor. This mixture also helps prevent irritated and cracked skin. 

#SpoonTip: Shoutout to #40 on this list!

Corn Starch

flour, dough, bread, cereal
Allison Wojtowecz

Got the sweats? Corn starch can absorb that and help it disappear in no time!  

#SpoonTip: Watch out! Corn starch may not always be your friend. Check this out, first. 

You're ready to conquer the gym shoe stench! Need a little bit more motivation to get yourself off the couch? Enjoy this GIF of two dogs on a treadmill

You can thank me (and your shoes) later. 

Still not off the couch? Here's a mind boggler for ya: 

Why do noses run and shoes smell? 

Now get on the elliptical while you try to sort that one out.