Spuds generally get a bad rap for their carb content, as an oil sponge in fried or chip form, and high ranking on the glycemic index (a scale that measures foods based on how quickly they spike blood sugar).

But no matter how much haters are gonna hate, potatoes are gonna potate with their spudly health benefits and nutritional values. These babies are chock-full of fiber and potassium, which aid in blood-sugar regulation and blood-pressure reduction.

Potatoes are also known for their richness in vitamin B and C, both of which are involved in powering your metabolism and boosting your immune system.

The best part? Spuds are highly versatile. Enjoy taters in 5 different ways to maximize their nutrient benefits.

1. Boil

potatoes

Photo by Abby Wang

Boiling is one of the easiest ways to cook potatoes, next to nuking them in the microwave. Boiled potatoes are typically made into potato salad by tossing the veggies with a couple condiments. If you’re in the mood for some spicy mustard and starchy goodness, try this tangy German-style potato salad.

2. Mash

potatoes

Photo by Abby Wang

Good ol’ Thanksgiving wouldn’t be complete without mashed potatoes. Notorious for their fat content when made with butter and heavy cream, mashed potatoes can be healthier when made with butter alternatives, like olive oil.

3. Stick ‘Em In A Stew

potatoes

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

If you’ve got a pot or crockpot (or a friend who needs enough strength to continue on an arduous journey to save the Middle-earth), stewing potatoes is the way to go. It’s easy to make large portions and freeze the rest for later. Make these cold winter days better with this beef stew recipe, featuring taters.

4. Bake

potatoes

Photo by Abby Wang

Baked potatoes are perfect for any meal and healthy as long as you don’t go crazy on high-calorie toppings (try swapping out sour cream for Greek yogurt).

To bake a potato, preheat the oven to 400°F. Scrub the spud and pierce it in several areas with a fork. Think: you are Brutus and the potato is Caesar (just try not to be so violent that you’ll hurt yourself). Place the potato on the center rack of an oven for about 45-60 minutes.

If you really wanna get fancy, try this Hasselback baked potato recipe.

5. Sauté

potatoes

Photo courtesy of Chena Girl Cooks

A quick method in prepping potatoes for a good chow down is sautéing them. The process involves dicing potatoes, parboiling them (partially cooking via boiling), then fully cooking them in a skillet or pan with some oil or veggie broth. Here’s a delish hash recipe to get you started.

Take your taters to the next level: