There are certain undeniable facts of the universe we know and accept: the sky is blue, the grass is green, and the art of cooking requires absolute mastery of all five senses.

We have all been through the trials and tribulations that come with maneuvering through the uncharted lands known as a “kitchen”, and the alien creatures that inhabit these barren lands, such as the “eggs,” “fish,” and the rare, ever-elusive “Nutella.”

I think it’s about time that we conquer our fears and uncertainties. Here are some simple food hacks that make the kitchen just a little less scary.

1. Frying an Egg in a Pepper or Onion Ring

food hacks

Photo by Hana Dibe

Ah, yes. The shape-shifting creature that travel in herds a dozen strong. If you’re incredibly lucky—or maybe unlucky in this case—you may spot numbers as large as eighteen.

But really, all you have to do to tame the beast is to deposit it, sans their hard exterior, into a slice of pepper or onion. This edible ring structure secures the egg as it transforms into its opaque form, rendering it utterly immobile and absolutely scrumptious. Sprinkle with some black pepper and dried herbs and it’s ready to slide effortlessly into your sandwich.

2. Hot Chocolate with a Dash of Salt

food hacks

Photo by Hana Dibe

Chocolate has long been a frenemy of humankind. That fact does not change even in the odd powdered variety found commonly in the kitchen cabinets. It’s been long speculated that this form serves as a way to tide away unfavourable conditions as once the nutrient source, milk, is provided, it springs to life.

Humans have preyed on this particular form of chocolate, known as hot chocolate, for countless years. But only in the last decade have we been able to engineer a way to bring out its naturally appealing taste.

With just a pinch of salt, the flavour of this molten mixture is exponentially enriched. Overconsumption is warned against, as there is a limited population thriving in the average household.

3. Reducing Banana Ripening Rate

food hacks

Photo by Hana Dibe

This particular species exhibits an alarmingly short life span. The first signs of age are peculiar brown spots that quickly overtake its golden exterior.

Thankfully, humans have discovered a way to help these benign creatures live a little longer—if only to preserve them for our own consumption. Although they appear to be in conjoined bunches with their littermates, they can safely live apart as well. This is the key to their longevity.

With care, separate the individuals from the cluster. The further away they are relocated, the better. They don’t appear to miss their absent kin.

4. Bananas as Egg Substitutes in Baking

food hacks

Photo by Hana Dibe

Once in a blue moon, you’ll find an oddity in the natural world. Such is the case with bananas and eggs.

The complex recipes that we follow usually leave little up for debate. However, a fluke of nature has enabled a one for one substitution of eggs for our dear old friend, the banana. The baked product resulting from this switcharoo appears to be of the normal sort, despite the substitution. Nature works in mysterious ways, it seems.

5. Peeling Eggs Made Easier with Baking Soda

food hacks

Photo by Hana Dibe

Another transformation the egg makes is contained within its natural protective armour. Like a chrysalis, the white layer shields the vulnerable egg from external dangers as it incubates in a pot of boiling water.

The emergence of the new form is quite impossible if undergone by the egg itself, and even with a helping hand it runs a risk of removing its flesh alongside the disposable shell.

This is where baking soda comes in. Boil the eggs with a spoonful of this and you’ve just made the egg’s life much, much easier. No longer will it have to worry about blemishing its ovular shape.

Or you can just do this…

food hacks

Gif courtesy of imgur.com

Apart from the dangers of oil spills and blue flames, a trip to the kitchen really isn’t all that dangerous of a venture with these handy food hacks.

Check these links out if you’re itching to learn more tips and tricks: