UC Davis is a world-renowned ag school and considering we also pride ourselves on being committed to sustainability, it may or may not come as a surprise that there are resources right here on campus dedicated to providing free produce. Saving money and minimizing waste. Its a win-win.

Here are four places to stock up on vitamins and minerals free of charge.

1. The Freedge

produce

Photo courtesy of freedge.org

The freedge started when a few UC Davis graduate students wanted to make a difference by bringing their community closer together and simultaneously reducing food waste. They placed a communal fridge on their front lawn with the motto: “Take what you need. Leave what you don’t.” The freedge is currently located at 235 3rd street. Check it out by dropping off your extra produce and seeing if the freedge has just what you need before heading to the store. You can even check out their current inventory here.

2. Fruit Trees Around Campus

produce

Photo by Adira Fogel

From loquat trees in the courtyard of Cruess Hall to fig trees behind the greenhouse on Hutchison, when the season is right these trees have got you covered (you just might need a ladder). Even better, here is a map of fruit trees all around Davis.

3. Fruit and Veggie Up

produce

Photo Courtesy of Student Health and Counseling Services

The Student Health and Counseling Services started Fruit and Veggie Up in order to provide all UC Davis students with fruits, vegetables, and nutrition education. The produce is donated from Nugget Markets. You can pick it up on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 11 am to 1 pm in the Student Health and Wellness Center or Lower Freeborn. It’s first come first serve so hurry over!

4. EC College Garden Table

produce

Photo by Adira Fogel

The Experimental College Garden is located behind the Student Health and Wellness Center and by the domes on Orchard Park Drive. Anyone can rent plots and grow annuals, biennials and perennials. The garden is strictly organic and the growers of the garden kindly offer their excess harvest to others. After some exploration, you’ll come across this share-the-harvest table nestled in the back.