Your freshman year at Tulane teaches you way more than just intro to English or Gen Chem. Some of the most important life lessons are understood outside the classroom. Dining hall food gets extremely repetitive after a while, so as much as you think you know about navigating around Bruff, we’re here to prove otherwise. It’s now time to explore Bruff’s “secret menu.”

1. The Better Way to Do Breakfast

hacks

Photo by Meera Kumar

Day in and day out Bruff serves the same fare for breakfast: eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, biscuits, and gravy. The next time you’re in Bruff and feel like it’s time to change up your breakfast, take some initiative and make yourself a breakfast wrap. Begin at the sandwich line and get a tortilla. Add three slices of your favorite cheese and some bacon. Then, go to the hot food section and get your eggs, hash browns, and sausage.

Once back at your seat, place the eggs, hash browns, and sausage on top of the cheese and bacon inside the wrap. Pour a little hot sauce and sprinkle a light amount of Tony’s Chachere’s Creole Seasoning on top to give it some extra flavor. Before eating, fold up the wrap and stick it in the panini press for a minute or two so the cheese melts and the tortilla gets a perfect crunch.

2. The Cheesiest Cheese Fries

hacks

Photo by Meera Kumar

If you end up with a plate of fries at Bruff, spice them up by adding some cheddar cheese, bacon bits, chives, sour cream, or any other toppings that catch your eye. After you’re done topping your fries with all the condiments your heart desires, head over and put your plate in the microwave for at least a minute, which is just long enough for the cheese to melt perfectly. When the timer stops, take out your creation and enjoy.

3. Decadent Dessert

hacks

Photo by Meera Kumar

For the perfect Bruff sweet treat, head to the dessert tray and pick out two of your favorite cookies. Next, make a quick pitstop at the panini press and let those cookies melt for about 30 seconds so they can get back to their original soft, chewy texture. Now it’s time for the best part: the ice cream. Pick your favorite flavor and scoop either one massive scoop or two smaller scoops onto one of the cookies.

When placing the other cookie on top, it’s imperative to gently and evenly push the two cookies together. If you squeeze with too much force, the cookies will break, and if you squeeze too long, your ice cream will start to seep out. Now that you’ve finished building your masterpiece it’s time to sit down, take a bite, and send your taste buds into heaven.

For more dining hall hacks, check out these awesome articles: