Turmeric powder is a vibrant, yellow spice that is considered the “most powerful herb on the planet”  because of its healthy and culinary properties. Turmeric, a member of the ginger family, can attribute its properties to its chemical composition. It contains curcumin, which is the chemical responsible for its bright color and the key to turmeric's unique health attributes.

Known for its antioxidant content and anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric is also a great source of fiber, potassium, magnesium and vitamin C. Read on for 5 more benefits this spice provides.

ginger, tea
Aarti Vyas

1. Anti-inflammatory

According to many doctors, turmeric is one of the most powerful, natural anti-inflammatory. It contains more than two dozen of anti-inflammatory compounds, which inhibits enzymes that promote pain, swelling and inflammation.

Curcumin, the main agent in turmeric, has similar effects to anti-inflammatory drugs, but without the toxic effects that some medications produce.

#SpoonTip: Consuming turmeric twice daily two weeks prior to menstruation can help reduce menstrual cramping (you’re welcome girls!).

gif
Taylor Kozloski

2. Immunity Booster

Turmeric contains compounds that help the body’s immune system. It has antibacterial and antiviral agents that help strengthen the immune system, reducing the chances of getting colds, coughs and flu.

Curcumin helps macrophages (human immune cells) kill bacteria by inducing apoptosis, a process of programmed cell death. There are many studies now that show how curcumin helps to strengthen immunity.

chili, pepper
Mariana Hulian

3. Treatment and Prevention of Diabetes  

This spice has been used in many Asian cultures to treat diabetes for years. Turmeric is a spice all diabetics should know, since it helps lower glucose levels, increases production of beta cells (stores and releases insulin), and lowers insulin resistance.

Meredith Davin

4. Digestion Aide

Turmeric improves digestion and reduces gas and bloating. It also benefits the liver by stimulating bile production, which improves the ability to digest fats. It relieves spams of smooth muscle, reducing digestives cramps.

blueberry, tea, coffee
Hana Brannigan

5. Versatile Ingredient

Turmeric is quite a versatile ingredient. It can be used on sweet or salty recipes and even drinks. There are many ways you can incorporate turmeric to your diet.

One trendy turmeric-based drink is the Golden Latte, which consists of turmeric powder, regular or nut milk and honey. There are many variations to this recipe that add even more flavor to this healthy (and delicious) drink.

Turmeric can also be used as a beauty product. It purifies and cleans the skin, giving it a healthier look. Turmeric serves as a home remedy for acne, dry skin, wrinkles and dark circles under the eyes. It is commonly used in body scrubs and face masks.

soup, cream, tea, espresso, coffee
Mariana Hulian

Adding turmeric in your cooking is a must. With as little as one teaspoon a day, you can get all of turmeric’s benefits. You can find it in many grocery stores, or even online